Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion created title not animating in fcpx

I created a title consisting of a text layer and a shape (circle). The animation consisting of a behavior(drawing in). The edge of the circle gets drawn in with particles (tree leaves).

It works fine in motion but not when applied to clip in FCPX.

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 8:16 AM

Hi

I know this problem.

This is a problem when FCP fails to process an image brush. When you use an image brush in a title template, sometimes FCP fails to render the graphic if the shape layer has geometry - height, width or radius for a circle. You need to convert the shape to points.

Go to the shape geometry settings and choose 'convert to points'. Then save and try again in FCP. Now the image brush should not fail to process.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 8:16 AM in response to morpheuz7

Hi

I know this problem.

This is a problem when FCP fails to process an image brush. When you use an image brush in a title template, sometimes FCP fails to render the graphic if the shape layer has geometry - height, width or radius for a circle. You need to convert the shape to points.

Go to the shape geometry settings and choose 'convert to points'. Then save and try again in FCP. Now the image brush should not fail to process.

Oct 31, 2021 8:03 AM in response to rowie302

Hi,

Took me a while to get back to the project. I looked at several references and thought I'd solved the problem and realized the pattern. The faulty animation happens if I try to use the same title twice on the same project in FCPX. I know it sounds strange but I tried it in several instances and regardless of the clip underneath (I tried black generators too) the first instance works great and the second instance shows just a single leaf (pics for reference).

Also I tried exporting a clip out of FCPX with the title as a quicktime movie and the animation didn't work on either instance.

My deadline is tomorrow, so I might just export as a an alpha channel clip and paste it over the movie until I figure out what's wrong...

I will post a pic of the motion project for reference.

Oct 30, 2021 8:24 PM in response to morpheuz7

Hi morpheuz7

What part of the animation does not work in FCP?

The situation you describe indicates that in your motion project, you may have applied keyframes to a parameter but then published that parameter. If you publish a keyframed parameter, you are giving FCP instructions to ignore those keyframes when the template is loaded.

If you can provide screen shots to explain the details of your project, we can help you much better.

If you can provide a link to the project file, we can investigate even further.

Oct 30, 2021 9:01 PM in response to rowie302

Thank you for the reply. You might have solved my problem. I’ll post a pic if I can later.

The animation is in fact quite simple. The circumference of a circle gets drawn in using a 3D particle of autumn leaves (creating a sort of wreath)

The drawing-in circle edge animation is what’s not working. I added a “fade in-fade out” to the circle animation layer which might be the key frame you mention. If that’s the case, how can I fade in/out as the animation begins and ends? I’m still at a beginner level in terms of what motion will allow me to do, so apologies if my question is too obvious.

Oct 30, 2021 9:09 PM in response to morpheuz7

Hi

The fade in fade out is a behavior which is an alternative to keyframes. It is not possible to help much further without seeing details of the project, the layers panel and the inspector. If you can provide a link to the project file we can look for a solution directly. Otherwise, screen shots of the layers panel and the layer properties in the inspector. If you want to create an easy to share screen recording, I recommend www.loom.com. I am sure we can solve this for you, we just need more information.

Oct 31, 2021 4:30 PM in response to morpheuz7

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

It shows it can still happen. I have worked on products that worked normally, and then some time later, discover the bug was happening. If I come back to my test templates tomorrow or a week or a month later, I expect the bug will appear again eventually.

Generally, if you work with image brushes and also airbrushes, remember to convert your shapes to points. However, the other alternative is to use the sequence paint behavior. If I remember correctly, that process is immune to the bug.

Motion created title not animating in fcpx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.