Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 15 Home screen and Library mess.

New update! Great, looking forward to it, then -as usual- disappointment. Installed IOS 15. After much scrambling got 5 Widgets on the top row (landscape mode). (BTW, why the wasted space on the sides?). Then I flip it to portrait... a total mess. The Weather Widget is now on the bottom, apps and folders are all over the place, one folder is now between two Widgets. WTF? A 5 year old can tell you that having apps and folders in the same place is efficient...

As for the new Library: Movie Player is under Entertainment, Azul (a movie player) in Travel. ShopShop is not under shopping. One of my insurance apps is under Finance, the other under Utilities. Lottery app is in News, paint an drawing app are all over the place. And so forth.

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 12:48 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 4, 2021 7:46 AM in response to firefox111

There are many changes within iPadOS15 - of which one is the loss of the Today view, that you illustrate, that can be pinned to the first Home Screen. 

Whilst you are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, you have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that shows a compressed 5x6 grid of App/Folder icons and Today view). Now, without the compressed view, Widgets individually occupy elements of the 4x6 icon grid - and will displace some App/Folder icons as necessary.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

Dec 4, 2021 9:28 AM in response to firefox111

Oops, the image was too big, I guess, that it didn’t attach. I hope this reduced size will. Yeah, it did. This is not representative of the huge iPad 12.9 screen! I really reduced it too much. As you can see, icon sizes can be reduced and spacing can be reduced to accommodate 8 x 12 grid on the main screen. That is double in the current iOS 15 grid!

Dec 3, 2021 4:01 PM in response to firefox111

At the risk of hijacking someone else's thread, as you have discovered, update to iPadOS15 introduced the ability to add Widgets to your Home Screens - some being added to your first Home Screen, by default, during the initial update to iPadOS 15.x.

The pinned Today View of iPadOS14 - that includes the Time, Day and Date above the scrollable widgets, as seen on the first Home Screen - is not replicated in iPadOS15. You do, however, have a similar slide-out view in both Portrait and Landscape screen orientation.

Widgets placed on a Home Screen now individually occupy one or more elements of a 4x6 icon grid. Home Screens without Widgets retain the familiar 5x6 icon grid.  With the grid accommodating fewer icons when Widgets are present, other App and Folder icons may be displaced to the next Home Screen - and this may have a ripple-effect where Home Screens icon grids are fully populated.

Widgets cannot be resized per-se, but many Widgets offer multiple optional views - occupying a 1x1, 1x2 or 2x2 section of the Home Screen grid.

Widgets can be removed entirely from any Home Screen, but removal does not cause displaced icons to be restored to their prior locations. Re-arrangement must be done manually. This is perhaps a less onerous task than might initially appear, as Home Screen icons should still follow their original sequence (reading left-to-right / top-to-bottom). With multi-selection of App/Folder icons, it is possible to simultaneously move several icons if you wish.

IOS 15 Home screen and Library mess.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.