Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep the App Library in iOS 14 from removing apps on my home screen?

Some apps that are on your home screen can be taken off when you rearrange apps and placed only in the App Library. They can be taken out of folders. You don't believe me, do you? I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

I wanted to place a widget on my home screen. I assumed iOS 14 would make room by moving the apps at the bottom of page 1 to page 2. Instead, it removed the 8 lowest apps and folders from all pages. It was important that I have easy access to them -- that's why they were on page 1 -- and the only way to get them back was to remove the widget, go to the App Library, find each app, and long-press to get them restored to my home screen. Then I rearranged the apps into folders like they were before.

Plan B to get a widget on my home screen without losing easy access to my most important apps and folders: I tried to create space for the widget by manually moving the lowest 8 apps and folders from page 1 to the top of page 2. After moving three, iOS 14 moved apps from other pages to the empty spaces on page 1. Some were taken out of folders. Then I went to page 2 -- the apps and folders I had manually moved there were no longer on page 2. Some were not on any pages and, like before, were only in the App Library, which I had to use so I could manually indicate that I wanted them on the home page.

I've lost count of how many iPhones I've had. (I've got an 11 Pro now.) This has been the most frustrating experience I've ever had with iPhone and Apple's iOS.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 5:23 AM

Totally agree. What’s the point of the AI “intelligently” moving things into folders that if you have to spend time looking for them? Before I had my folders organised “photo/video apps”, “ reference”, “shop”, etc. Now it seems I have to scroll through each library folder to find out where they are. Pain in the neck. If Apple can’t let you organise the library then there’s not a lot of point in having it. Yet another example of Apple fixing things that aren’t broken! Infuriating.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 5:23 AM in response to Patrick Houlihan

Totally agree. What’s the point of the AI “intelligently” moving things into folders that if you have to spend time looking for them? Before I had my folders organised “photo/video apps”, “ reference”, “shop”, etc. Now it seems I have to scroll through each library folder to find out where they are. Pain in the neck. If Apple can’t let you organise the library then there’s not a lot of point in having it. Yet another example of Apple fixing things that aren’t broken! Infuriating.

How can I keep the App Library in iOS 14 from removing apps on my home screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.