Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone tried to remotely control my Mac

This night I got a prompt on my MacBook saying something like “A computer tried to remotely connect to Control Center.” I don’t exactly know what it means by connect to control center, and I might have read it wrong. It also had an local IP listed that I did not recognize, and I’m slightly worried. Also, since I did not recognize the IP, that might mean someone is on my internet, right?

Thanks for any help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:24 AM

There's a very regular and often repeated theme on this forum to never install any 3rd part security or anti whatever software. They often do more harm than good. You Mac has all the security it needs built in. You are susceptible to malware incursions, but often that's because of a foolish action on the part of the user.

If you feel you've been invaded start by changing your passwords to something strong enough to not be easily guessed.

Then download and install free EtreCheck Pro and run it to assess what software you do have installed.

Is sharing enabled? if so, consider disabling it at least until you're done charging passwords.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Liam-Maguire

There's a very regular and often repeated theme on this forum to never install any 3rd part security or anti whatever software. They often do more harm than good. You Mac has all the security it needs built in. You are susceptible to malware incursions, but often that's because of a foolish action on the part of the user.

If you feel you've been invaded start by changing your passwords to something strong enough to not be easily guessed.

Then download and install free EtreCheck Pro and run it to assess what software you do have installed.

Is sharing enabled? if so, consider disabling it at least until you're done charging passwords.

Someone tried to remotely control my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.