Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth pervents iMac 27" (2019) and MacBook Pro 13 (Intel 2019) from sleeping

After updating both my computers to macOS Monterey, the system does not go to sleep when any bluetooth device is connected, including Apple ones (Keyboard/Magic Mouse 2)

pmset -g in Terminal shows that bluetoothd prevents the system from sleeping.

Does anyone else has this issue?

Has anybody found a fix/workaround?

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 10:01 AM

Similar questions

27 replies

Nov 1, 2021 10:38 AM in response to der001mac

Hello, der001mac. Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities, welcome! We understand that you have been noticing an issue when using your iMac where the Mac is waking from sleep unexpectedly. We know that being able to manage when your Mac is powered on must be important to you, and we can certainly help you with this situation. 

We understand that you have already isolated the issue to one of the Bluetooth connections that your Mac has. We have several more suggestions that we think will help you continue from here. 

For the next step, we would suggest reading over the following Apple Support article. This article contains information on what to do if you are noticing that your Mac either goes to sleep, or exits sleep mode unexpectedly: 

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly - Apple Support

If this seems to be caused by a Bluetooth connection, you can find steps to mange the system’s Bluetooth settings in the article above. According to the article: 

"Bluetooth devices can wake your Mac. If you don’t want a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse to be able to wake the Mac, you can change your system’s Bluetooth settings. 

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Click Advanced, then deselect “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer.”.” 

If you continue to notice the same issue after this, we can help you more. To continue, it would be helpful to know if this same problem occurs after your Mac has been started in safe mode. Safe mode is a way we can isolate out the software that may be causing this issue. You can see how to use safe mode in this last article: 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you still notice the same issue while in safe mode, please reply back here and we will be able to help you more with this. 

We hope that this information helps you. 

Have a great day! 

Nov 2, 2021 11:06 AM in response to der001mac

Hello, der001mac . Thank you for replying back with more information about your iMac. We understand that you are noticing the same issue after your Mac has been started in safe mode. 

We’d like to isolate this issue a bit more to continue. To confirm, it sounds like this issue does not occur when Bluetooth is disabled in your Mac’s preferences. Is that correct? 

If you remove all Bluetooth accessories except for the Magic Mouse and Keyboard, do you notice the same issue? 

Finally, we would like to find out if the same situation occurs when you are signed in to a second Administrator user account. If you only have one Administrator account created at this time, the Apple Support article below can help explain how to create a new account for testing with:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Please let us know what you find out. 

Nov 3, 2021 1:19 AM in response to JJRASC

Hi,

This issue does not occur when Blueetooth is turned Off.

This issue does not occur when Blueetooth is turned On and no Bluetooth device is connected, Apple or otherwise.

I performed the following actions:

• I removed every Bluetooth device
  • I created a second Administrator account
  • I logged off and singed in with the second Administrator account
  • I paired only the Apple Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse 2 (I paired them using the USB cable and then removed the cable and verified that they are connected wirelessly)
  • I rebooted the iMac and signed in with the second Administrator account

The issue persists, with the Blueetooth turned On, if either the Apple Keyboard or Apple Magic Mouse 2 is connected then pmset -g reports that the bluetoothd keeps the computer from sleeping.

Nov 1, 2021 10:58 AM in response to JJRASC

I had performed all these steps before posting, also resetted the NVRAM and SMC to no avail.

I also resetted Bluetooth and readded the devices (Apple Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse 2) again to no avail.

I should point out that I upgraded over a Big Sur, I don't know if this is the cause. The issue occurs also in Safe Mode.

Btw the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." is no longer available in Monterey.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Nov 3, 2021 9:48 AM in response to der001mac

Thank you for replying back with the results, der001mac. 

We understand that you were able to duplicate the issue from a second user account, and with only the Magic Mouse and Keyboard connected. 

To help you continue from here, we would suggest that you contact Apple Support directly for more help. Depending on your location, you may be able to contact Apple Support using the following link: 

Get Support

We appreciate your patience so far in isolating the issue. Please let us know if we can help you move forward from here. 

Have a great day!

Nov 21, 2021 4:52 AM in response to JJRASC

This was a great link right up to the point that it moved off the thread.

I have identical issues and took identical steps. I am sure, gauging from this and other threads here and on MacRumors and Reddit, that this is not a unique problem.

I would be curious to know if you did, indeed, contact Support, and what was the outcome of that stellar experience.

Thanks

Feb 2, 2022 7:11 AM in response to der001mac

Same Problem here on a Mac Mini 2018 with clean install and no other software installed. This is a problem within the 12.2 OS and is also causing many laptops to lose battery charge during the night if they have bluetooth mouse or other things

connected.

The workaround is to turn off bluetooth or turn off your mouse and Keyboard and use wired devices. No need to waste a lot of time troubleshooting.

Bluetooth pervents iMac 27" (2019) and MacBook Pro 13 (Intel 2019) from sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.