Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop Not Working on MacBook Pro After Installing MacOS Monterey

After the latest update MacOS Monterey I noticed my airdrop stopped working.

I have tried restarting the MacBook Pro 2016 and switching on/off wifi and bluetooth but still no luck.

I was wondering if anyone had this issue and if they found a fix?

Thanks

Tab

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 1:23 AM

After the update on my Macs, an iMac Retina 4k 21,5” 2017 and a MacBook Air M1 2020, from Mac OS Big Sur to Monterey, I had this problem with AirDrop, not working between the two Macs or my iPhone and my iPad, both with iOS 15.1.

I have installed AdGuard in both my Macs and I found that the ‘guilty’ is it.

Reading this post in Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/qqqvvp/macos_monterey_airdrop_not_working/, I could solve the problem and now all devices work well.

If you have installed AdGuard too, give a try :

open AdGuard settings -> Gear -> Advanced -> Advanced settings -> Change network.extension.monterey.force.split.tunnel to true value (it’s false as default).

I hope this is the solution for many of you.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 1:23 AM in response to Tabse

After the update on my Macs, an iMac Retina 4k 21,5” 2017 and a MacBook Air M1 2020, from Mac OS Big Sur to Monterey, I had this problem with AirDrop, not working between the two Macs or my iPhone and my iPad, both with iOS 15.1.

I have installed AdGuard in both my Macs and I found that the ‘guilty’ is it.

Reading this post in Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/qqqvvp/macos_monterey_airdrop_not_working/, I could solve the problem and now all devices work well.

If you have installed AdGuard too, give a try :

open AdGuard settings -> Gear -> Advanced -> Advanced settings -> Change network.extension.monterey.force.split.tunnel to true value (it’s false as default).

I hope this is the solution for many of you.

Nov 1, 2021 10:41 AM in response to Tabse

Hello Tabse,

Thanks for reaching out to us in Apple Support Communities about not being able to use AirDrop. We're happy to help by looking into this more! 

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

Use AirDrop on your Mac

Specifically, check out the section labeled "If you can't see the other device in AirDrop"

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Nov 23, 2021 5:30 AM in response to Tabse

Try this on your phone...

1. Make sure Airdrop is enabled on all your devices/computers

2. Update to the latest iOS

Settings --> General --> Software Update

3. Reset Network Settings

Settings --> General --> Transfer or Reset iPhone --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (Enter your passcode, if applicable) --> Reset Network Settings

The phone will restart. Once the phone is up and running again your airdrop should work both ways across your devices/computers.

This worked for me. I hope this helps :)

Nov 29, 2021 5:53 AM in response to Tabse

If turning Bluetooth off then back on doesn’t work for you then try this on your phone...

1. Make sure Airdrop is enabled on all your devices/computers

2. Update to the latest iOS

Settings --> General --> Software Update

3. Reset Network Settings

Settings --> General --> Transfer or Reset iPhone --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (Enter your passcode, if applicable) --> Reset Network Settings

The phone will restart. Once the phone is up and running again your airdrop should work both ways across your devices/computers.

This worked for me. I hope this helps :)

Nov 1, 2021 3:17 PM in response to c_luc9

Hi c_luc9,

The actually problem is when airdropping from my iPhone 11 Pro to the MacBook Pro.

My iPhone picks up the airdrop for the MacBook and then when I try to send I'm getting the waiting option in bottom left hand corner and nothing more.

I only started getting this problem when I updated my MacBook Pro to new OS Monterey. I have also updated my iPhone to iOS 15.1 but the problem still persists.

Thanks

Nov 3, 2021 12:02 AM in response to Tabse

i have the same issue sending files from the mac to my iphone 12 pro. sending and receiving between my iphone 12 and ipad pro works perfectly so i think it's the issue with the mac after the update. it's seeing my iphone but when i try to transfer nothing happens. and this issue is happening to my imac too. please someone help!

Nov 6, 2021 2:53 PM in response to Stanluca

I'm having a similar issue with my 16" Intel MBP (2020) after upgrading to Monterey. AirDrop was solid whenever I tried to send anything to this machine using Catalina or Big Sur. Now from my iPad Air (iPadOS 15.1) or my iPhone 11 (iOS 15.1), I see the MBP as an AirDrop destination, but things never get past "Waiting" after I tap on its icon.

Nov 6, 2021 3:21 PM in response to Tabse

Hi Tab,

I had the same problem. Airdrop showed the "waiting" message when trying to use airdrop from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro 2020 (but not from mac to iphone) after installing MacOS Monterey. Universal clipboard was not working either.

Did you switch on/off wifi and bluetooth simultaneously both on your iphone and your mac? It worked for me only when I did it simultaneously.

Hope it helps.

Best,

Juan

Nov 7, 2021 1:15 PM in response to Stanluca

So guys, I think I have a solution to our problem with air dropping from iPhone to MacBook.

Go into 'Finder'

select 'AirDrop'

Click on 'Allow me to be discovered by':

and select 'Everyone'

On your iPhone it should show your MacBook twice and select the one thats new and this should Airdrop whatever you are trying to send over.

I hope this helps.

Nov 15, 2021 4:27 PM in response to Tabse

I had this problem too. Tried turning off bluetooth on both phone and MacBook at the same time as suggested. When I turned bluetooth back on and tried to pair them I got a code to confirm, clicked confirm, but then got an error message on my phone that said "MacBook wasn't supported" only giving me the option to forget device. Still can't pair them. Same with Apple Watch not able to unlock my MacBook. Monterey really creating some connection issues.

Airdrop Not Working on MacBook Pro After Installing MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.