Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I uncheck 'Optimize Mac Storage' do my files still sync to iCloud?

If I delete a large file from my computer does it get deleted from iCloud as well?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:37 AM

Re the question in the title: If you uncheck Optimize Mac Storage, your files will still sync to iCloud -- the difference is that with it unchecked you will have a local copy of all of the iCloud Drive files also stored on your Mac. With it checked, some files may not have a local copy if the Mac is low on space.

Re the question in the body of the post: If you delete a file from your computer (and if that file is in iCloud Drive on the computer), it will also be deleted from iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 11:37 AM in response to DCarlson93

Re the question in the title: If you uncheck Optimize Mac Storage, your files will still sync to iCloud -- the difference is that with it unchecked you will have a local copy of all of the iCloud Drive files also stored on your Mac. With it checked, some files may not have a local copy if the Mac is low on space.

Re the question in the body of the post: If you delete a file from your computer (and if that file is in iCloud Drive on the computer), it will also be deleted from iCloud.

If I uncheck 'Optimize Mac Storage' do my files still sync to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.