Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I uncheck 'Optimize Mac Storage' do my files still sync to iCloud?

If I delete a large file from my computer does it get deleted from iCloud as well?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:37 AM

Re the question in the title: If you uncheck Optimize Mac Storage, your files will still sync to iCloud -- the difference is that with it unchecked you will have a local copy of all of the iCloud Drive files also stored on your Mac. With it checked, some files may not have a local copy if the Mac is low on space.

Re the question in the body of the post: If you delete a file from your computer (and if that file is in iCloud Drive on the computer), it will also be deleted from iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 11:37 AM in response to DCarlson93

Re the question in the title: If you uncheck Optimize Mac Storage, your files will still sync to iCloud -- the difference is that with it unchecked you will have a local copy of all of the iCloud Drive files also stored on your Mac. With it checked, some files may not have a local copy if the Mac is low on space.

Re the question in the body of the post: If you delete a file from your computer (and if that file is in iCloud Drive on the computer), it will also be deleted from iCloud.

If I uncheck 'Optimize Mac Storage' do my files still sync to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.