Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iCloud free iMac storage space?

I have 2 iMacs: 2013, and 2019.

Does placing a file in iCloud Drive free that amount of storage space on the iMac? Or is the purpose only to make that file available for other devises, and thus takes up storage from the iMac it came from? Even though the file is no longer visible on that iMac?

Thank you

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 3:01 PM

iCloud is primarily a syncing service but it can reduce storage needed on a device.

See the following regarding photos from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

There is a similar option for iCloud Drive files in Mac System Settings (System Preferences in Macs running systems earlier than the current Ventura).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2022 3:01 PM in response to Tom Cray

iCloud is primarily a syncing service but it can reduce storage needed on a device.

See the following regarding photos from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

There is a similar option for iCloud Drive files in Mac System Settings (System Preferences in Macs running systems earlier than the current Ventura).

Dec 10, 2022 12:11 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you. I have less than 5 GB of photos. The iMac is 2013 , bought in 2015. So I have 7 years of data collection. So far I have not found "optimize storage". The problem is my startup disc is nearly full. However, by disposing of many files, I have regained use of MAIL, which had completely stopped working.

I thought maybe the total was counting iCloud files. Thanks to your answer, I know much more. The largest files are called "other". I also thought that maybe Time Machine is causing too much backup. I have 1 TB of iMac storage, and my backup drive has a capacity of 2 TB, and is 1.9 full.

I will continue to delete files and see what happens. Thanks again.

Does iCloud free iMac storage space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.