Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update".

I attempted to update OS Monterey from OS Big Sur 11.6 on my MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 but the update stops and says "A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update". The drives name is Macintosh HD, however the actual drive has been replaced with a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB. Here is a screen shot of the root;

What can I do to install OS Monterey? Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 9:48 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to update the thread as I did get to update my MacBook Pro with Samsung's SSD 970 EVO to update to macOS Monterey. I did have to reinstall Apple's original drive, then start the upgrade to Monterey.

Once accomplished I shut down the Mac, removed Apple's hard drive and then installed the SSD from Samsung and then requested the update and viola, it worked and that was a month ago. No issues at all so thank you to everyone that got involved in the thread and lastly...have a safe and very Merry Christmas!

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 9:48 AM in response to PRP_53

Hey guys, just wanted to update the thread as I did get to update my MacBook Pro with Samsung's SSD 970 EVO to update to macOS Monterey. I did have to reinstall Apple's original drive, then start the upgrade to Monterey.

Once accomplished I shut down the Mac, removed Apple's hard drive and then installed the SSD from Samsung and then requested the update and viola, it worked and that was a month ago. No issues at all so thank you to everyone that got involved in the thread and lastly...have a safe and very Merry Christmas!

Feb 4, 2022 5:40 AM in response to roblysak

I've tried to upgrade my MacBook Pro from Mojave to Monterey and got this famous message "A required firmware update...."

I've got this MacBook Pro three years ago from second hand and upgraded the SSD to a 1.0 TB OWC AURA PRO SSD.

Following the suggested recommendation, I've reinserted the SSD which was in the MackBook Pro when I got it. . I've then attempted to restarted the MacBook Pro with the original SSD. It does not even reboot, instead I've got a picture showing a circle with a bar in it (see attached picture) .

Guess what, it looks that even this hard drive might not be the original one (see attached picture).

Now that being said, what are my options?

Feb 12, 2022 8:34 AM in response to roblysak

While the solution provided got me out of this situation, I have to say this is very s--tty treatment on the part of Apple. Those of us who replaced the original SSD, particularly in laptops that are out of warranty, should NEVER have to put an original SSD back in, to do an OS upgrade. Pretty disgusted Apple wasted so much of my time.

Nov 11, 2021 9:05 PM in response to roblysak

Same problem for me too. MacPro 6,1 (Late 2013). Purchased used in 2017 with an OWC Aura SSD. I never had the original. OWC is great, they are offering to loan me a genuine Apple SSD to update my firmware.

I can at least partially sympathize with Apple for not trusting 3rd party storage. They have to temporarily put the new firmware image somewhere so as to have a copy to read when overwriting the system firmware. That means they need a means of reading the internal SSD and can not necessarily trust that SSD isn't using the very firmware Apple is overwriting. Don't know but guessing they know somebody did something they were not supposed to which would brick your Mac during the firmware update.

Error message when installing from the running OS is unhelpful. Says in effect, "Failed, try again." Booting command-option-R returns error -5101F. And booting command-option-P-R returned this:

Dec 23, 2021 12:37 PM in response to Dan Neumann

Never mind. Here's where I think MY experience went awry ... when creating the Monterey USB boot drive, there is a step that has you add Contents / Resources / createinstallmedia into your Terminal code. Notice that there is a file called "createinstallmedia_yosemite" right under the correct file? I *believe* when I went through the process, I accidentally grabbed the "yosemite" version. Then, once I tried installing, some little yosemite gremlin got into the Trash Can (not just the hard drive). I think that has been preventing us from getting anywhere. RIGHT NOW, we are actually installing Yosemite on the internal Apple SSD and we will then go about upgrading from there. Sigh. What a rigamarole.

Nov 12, 2021 3:45 AM in response to roblysak

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers.

In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ? 

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey.

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

"A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.