Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still update to Mac OS Big Sur if that does not require original Apple hard drive?

I have mid-2015 MacBook Pro with aftermarket 2TB hard drive. Trying to install OS Monterey, error message "A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update."

Community members say issue is installing on aftermarket hard drive.

Is updating to OS Big Sur an option? Does it require an original Apple hard drive, and is there a link to Apple installer for Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 9:36 AM

If you can boot the laptop, then you can identify the SSD installed by using the Apple System Profiler that can be accessed by Option-clicking the Apple menu and selecting the first item. Click on the NVMExpress item to access the information for the SSD.

If it is an OWC SSD, then you need to contact OWC technical support for assistance. They will know whether the SSD is compatible with Big Sur and if it is compatible they may have a firmware update for the SSD or they may even send you an Apple SSD to use to upgrade the laptop's system firmware so that Big Sur can be used on the OWC SSD.

For anyone who upgrades their original Apple SSD to a third party SSD, you should keep the original Apple SSD just for times like this.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 9:36 AM in response to FloridaCajunZydeco

If you can boot the laptop, then you can identify the SSD installed by using the Apple System Profiler that can be accessed by Option-clicking the Apple menu and selecting the first item. Click on the NVMExpress item to access the information for the SSD.

If it is an OWC SSD, then you need to contact OWC technical support for assistance. They will know whether the SSD is compatible with Big Sur and if it is compatible they may have a firmware update for the SSD or they may even send you an Apple SSD to use to upgrade the laptop's system firmware so that Big Sur can be used on the OWC SSD.

For anyone who upgrades their original Apple SSD to a third party SSD, you should keep the original Apple SSD just for times like this.

Nov 5, 2021 6:15 PM in response to HWTech

Most likely OWC SSD 2TB. I had them install it when I purchased the computer from them. For storage, hard drive is identified as "Solid State PCI-Express Drive"

I found a link to OS dowloads, and Big Sur did not work, but Catalina did, so now I am on Catalina.

I suspect that Big Sur would be a better OS, but at least now I can access the latest apps from Adobe Creative Cloud, which is what prompted upgrading from Mojave.

Can I still update to Mac OS Big Sur if that does not require original Apple hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.