Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete old iPhone backups from my MacBook (latest Big Sur)... I no longer have the phone

It's in the subject line. I transferred everything from my iPhone XS to the new iPhone 13 and discovered I have 60GB of backups from the old phone and, for all I know, previous ones. It would be great to free up 60GB from the 500GB hard drive.

I can't follow the usual directions because I can't plug the old phone and go through Finder to find old backups and delete them.

I have no idea if I can simply delete the 243 folders under Backup

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 9:27 AM

aprsocprof wrote:

Thanks! just to be absolutely clear, it's fine to delete the "00008020-000C64922289002E" folder that contains the 243 subfolders? Is there any reason not to jump up one step and just delete the "Backup" folder - I'm guessing it makes no difference.

If it were me I would just delete the entire folder

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 9:27 AM in response to aprsocprof

aprsocprof wrote:

Thanks! just to be absolutely clear, it's fine to delete the "00008020-000C64922289002E" folder that contains the 243 subfolders? Is there any reason not to jump up one step and just delete the "Backup" folder - I'm guessing it makes no difference.

If it were me I would just delete the entire folder

Nov 1, 2021 8:43 AM in response to aprsocprof

aprsocprof wrote:

It's in the subject line. I transferred everything from my iPhone XS to the new iPhone 13 and discovered I have 60GB of backups from the old phone and, for all I know, previous ones. It would be great to free up 60GB from the 500GB hard drive.
I can't follow the usual directions because I can't plug the old phone and go through Finder to find old backups and delete them.
I have no idea if I can simply delete the 243 folders under Backup

You do not need the old phone to delete the backups on your Mac.

From the Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy & paste:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

I want to delete old iPhone backups from my MacBook (latest Big Sur)... I no longer have the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.