Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do I have these weird files on my computer and are they safe to delete?

Here is what I am talking about. ( I am praying that it's not just a bunch of viruses, I don't think I have done anything that could have given me a virus ). I am willing to format my mac if needed, but I would prefer an expert's advice before I do just so that I can save some files on a USB (if possible) and I don't know how to format a mac either. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 2:58 PM

Without a reference of where these files are located, we can't really say.

The one that's selected (name at the top) is a .png file, which is nothing but an image. Typically a cached web item.

Where are you finding these? Right click on a few and choose Show in Finder. The folder the item is located in will open and its name will be highlighted. Post back with the folder location.

My guess is these are nothing but Safari cached data.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 2:58 PM in response to PetrHora24

Without a reference of where these files are located, we can't really say.

The one that's selected (name at the top) is a .png file, which is nothing but an image. Typically a cached web item.

Where are you finding these? Right click on a few and choose Show in Finder. The folder the item is located in will open and its name will be highlighted. Post back with the folder location.

My guess is these are nothing but Safari cached data.

why do I have these weird files on my computer and are they safe to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.