Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since downloading Monterey my 2017 iMac has slowed to a snails pace. How can I uninstall it and return to Big Sur?

Since downloading Monterey my 2017 iMac has slowed to a snails pace. How can I uninstall it and return to Big Sur?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 2:09 PM

I don't see any of the usual suspects in your report. However, you did or do have VirusBarrier Scanner installed. You should uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You do not need any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac, ever!

Also you haven't booted for 7 days. You should reboot more frequently, like every other day. That will clean out temporary system and applications cache and swap files and help keep the system and applications more efficiently. I shut down at night and boot up in the morning. The time it takes is not an inconvenience.

You have quite a few apps in your System/Users & Groups/Login Items preference pane and running in the background. Remove all of them from the preference pane and open them only when needed and close when done. They can be added to the Dock for easy access.

You have a Fusion drive. Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and run First aid on all volumes. If you get any errors reported make a note them and rerun First Aid till there are no errors reported.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 2:09 PM in response to Mariusariel

I don't see any of the usual suspects in your report. However, you did or do have VirusBarrier Scanner installed. You should uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You do not need any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac, ever!

Also you haven't booted for 7 days. You should reboot more frequently, like every other day. That will clean out temporary system and applications cache and swap files and help keep the system and applications more efficiently. I shut down at night and boot up in the morning. The time it takes is not an inconvenience.

You have quite a few apps in your System/Users & Groups/Login Items preference pane and running in the background. Remove all of them from the preference pane and open them only when needed and close when done. They can be added to the Dock for easy access.

You have a Fusion drive. Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and run First aid on all volumes. If you get any errors reported make a note them and rerun First Aid till there are no errors reported.

Nov 1, 2021 1:57 PM in response to joekenya

It would be best to figure out what is causing the slowdown.

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.