Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open file icon size

When I want to open a picture file in Preview, the icons in the window that is opened after clicking Open in File are too small for me to know what photo it is of. How do I make these icons larger? I would prefer not to have to open a photo in order to find out what it is of.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 6:44 AM

There doesn't seem to be a way to change the icon size in the Open File Dialog.

Two options,

1. You could just open it from Finder.
  2. Use QuickLook in the Open File Dialog. Select an icon and tap the spacebar. You can use the arrow keys to move through each icon. Hit spacebar to end Quicklook and that last item will be selected.

With QuickLook in the Open File Dialog, if you put the window into List View, you can just arrow up/down to go through them in the sort order they are in. With Icon view, you have to arrow across, then down and across.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 6:44 AM in response to dgbemis01

There doesn't seem to be a way to change the icon size in the Open File Dialog.

Two options,

1. You could just open it from Finder.
  2. Use QuickLook in the Open File Dialog. Select an icon and tap the spacebar. You can use the arrow keys to move through each icon. Hit spacebar to end Quicklook and that last item will be selected.

With QuickLook in the Open File Dialog, if you put the window into List View, you can just arrow up/down to go through them in the sort order they are in. With Icon view, you have to arrow across, then down and across.

open file icon size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.