Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud Squelch when loading tracks from Search on Apple Music

I was testing our some wired headphones on my MacBook Pro with Apple Music - encountered a deafening digital squelch (1/10th of a second, very loud, just as the track was loading) when I tried to play some certain tracks found through the album search.

This issue does not seem to happen when playing tracks discovered through Apple Playlists or saved playlists, but happens (relatively frequently) when searching for a new album and playing a track from that album.

Specifically happened today by searching for these two albums and playing through headphone jack:

• Blade Runner Soundtrack - Vangelis - End Titles
  • IV - Cypress Hill - Checkmate, Prelude to a Come Up

Although subsequent playing of tracks does not make the squelch happen again. If I search for another random album and play the squelch (sometimes) happens again. It's not happening consistently, but is happening frequently enough that It's becoming a real disincentive to discover new music.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 12:51 PM

Hi,

Thanks! It has only been happening on wired headphones on my MBP16 - my Airpod Pros and Bose QC35's didn't have any issues.

This problem has now been solved (no idea why I was only getting it on wired headphones) by following this post and disabling the sound enhancement in Music: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252896844

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 12:51 PM in response to ryane77

Hi,

Thanks! It has only been happening on wired headphones on my MBP16 - my Airpod Pros and Bose QC35's didn't have any issues.

This problem has now been solved (no idea why I was only getting it on wired headphones) by following this post and disabling the sound enhancement in Music: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252896844

Nov 2, 2021 12:00 PM in response to chanchowancho

Hi chanchowancho,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you're hearing an unexpected noise when playing content in Apple Music. Is that right? We'll be glad to help out with this.

For clarification, is this only happening with your wired headphones? How about with other headphones? Knowing that would help to narrow things down.

You might also try setting up a temporary administrator account on the Mac and seeing if you can replicate the issue there. That information will help to determine if the issue is system-wide or user account-specific. Here's how to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Let us know what you find in the new user account, and how the testing with headphones and speakers goes. Take care.

Loud Squelch when loading tracks from Search on Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.