Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 compatibility?

I bought a USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 cable for my 2020 M1 MacBook Air and it does not connect my USB devices such as my headphones or flash drive, but it does work for charging. Are the Thunderbolt ports on the MacBooks not fully compatible with USB-C 3.2 cables? If so, what type of USB-C cables are compatible with the MacBook Thunderbolt ports?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:52 PM

If only there was a simple answer.

Not all USB-C cables are created equal. And that’s before cheap knock-offs get thrown into the mix.

The only real answer is to study and learn for your own unique devices and needs; and then purchase quality cables from reputable manufacturers who adhere to your required specs.

This article does a pretty decent job of outlining the current situation:

https://debugger.medium.com/usb-c-was-supposed-to-simplify-our-lives-instead-its-a-total-mess-626bb2ea3688

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 6:52 PM in response to AndyLandy501

If only there was a simple answer.

Not all USB-C cables are created equal. And that’s before cheap knock-offs get thrown into the mix.

The only real answer is to study and learn for your own unique devices and needs; and then purchase quality cables from reputable manufacturers who adhere to your required specs.

This article does a pretty decent job of outlining the current situation:

https://debugger.medium.com/usb-c-was-supposed-to-simplify-our-lives-instead-its-a-total-mess-626bb2ea3688

USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.