Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating a bootable usb by software

hi, my iMac just missed out of the latest macOS upgrade, its a late 2014 iMac model. if say in 2 - 3 years time I need to restore my iMac to factory settings by using internet recover(command+r) on boot, after I erase hard drive and try to reinstall MacOS BigSur, I don't think it will present me with BigSur installer file although never tried yet.

so I'm going down the route creating a bootable USB, when search online, all that comes up is creating by going into terminal and writing a load of code etc. this method is too complicated for me, so what the best program/app paid/free that will do the job for me?

thanks in advance

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 8:30 PM

Here are the options available to reinstall via Recovery: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

For a USB installer, you don’t have to write any code at all.

All you have to do is copy and paste.

Even then, that is not code.

You don’t even have to edit the command. Just name your USB stick, “MyVolume”

Copy, Paste, type a y to confirm erasing the stick.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 8:30 PM in response to alistairmck

Here are the options available to reinstall via Recovery: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

For a USB installer, you don’t have to write any code at all.

All you have to do is copy and paste.

Even then, that is not code.

You don’t even have to edit the command. Just name your USB stick, “MyVolume”

Copy, Paste, type a y to confirm erasing the stick.

Nov 1, 2021 6:39 PM in response to alistairmck

I’d suggest re-reading the article, as it’s one command.

The command is version-specific.

Here’s the article: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Here’s the command for building a Big Sur installer:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

sudo invokes the command with privilege.

The script that’s run: /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

That same script could be specified as:

“/Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia”

(with vertical double quote characters used), rather than the backslash \ that’s used by Apple to allow the spaces in the script name.

And the /Volumes/MyVolume is the name of the volume you want to build the kit upon,

creating a bootable usb by software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.