You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook doesn't detect usb wifi adapter

Hi,

I connected a wifi usb adapter to my macbook, but it doesn't recognise it as a network adapter.

The usb port and device work fine, as the device appears in the list of usb devices:

% ioreg -p IOUSB | fgrep NIC

+-o 802.11n NIC@14200000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10001bfe8, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 12>

(this line appears only when the wifi usb adapter is plugged, so that's really it)

But it doesn't materialize as a new network adapter.

I'm using mac os 11.6 and the adapter is a netsys wf2123 (based on RTL8192EU).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 6:44 AM

Hey BrieucJ,

It sounds like you have a concern with a Wi-Fi USB adapter not being detected.

Try these steps here to help with this: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support. There's also a step to see if your Mac is detecting the hardware of the device. If that doesn't work, try starting in safe mode to see if it's detected: How to use safe mode on your Mac. If it is detected in safe mode, restart the Mac normally and try again. 

Have a great day. 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2021 6:44 AM in response to BrieucJ

Hey BrieucJ,

It sounds like you have a concern with a Wi-Fi USB adapter not being detected.

Try these steps here to help with this: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support. There's also a step to see if your Mac is detecting the hardware of the device. If that doesn't work, try starting in safe mode to see if it's detected: How to use safe mode on your Mac. If it is detected in safe mode, restart the Mac normally and try again. 

Have a great day. 

Nov 3, 2021 7:36 AM in response to BrieucJ

BrieucJ wrote:

Thanks for the message. I followed those steps. They're the equivalent of what I already did. The adapter is detected, but it doesn't result as the creation of a network interface that I can use.
MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

Wifi Adapter because you internal WIFI card is not functioning...(?)

Are you using a Apple branded —USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Compare your results with a different adapter to test compatibility...

< netsys wf2123 > Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility

https://www.netis-systems.com/Suppory/de_details/id/1/de/89.html

The Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Make changes to >System Preferences>Network (?)

Change network settings on Mac - Apple Support

macbook doesn't detect usb wifi adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.