You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books app is slow and laggy on Monterey

After upgrading to Monterey, the previously *adequate* Books.app is now almost unusable as there is a 2-3 second lag each time I turn a page. Is it just me? I don't think so, I see others out there on reddit with this problem too. Any solutions?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:03 AM

17 replies

Dec 4, 2021 4:02 AM in response to wealthychef

wealthychef wrote:

I don't see an "additional text" button anywhere in Etrecheck. Perhaps I'm using it wrong. It generates a huge report, interesting but nothing stands out to me as Books related. Keep in mind that I have rebooted in Safe Mode so any reports on things which are disabled in Safe Mode are not relevant to my problem... which parts of the reports do you think might apply? I feel like posting hte whole thing here would be a bit much?

Not in Etrecheck, but here in this discussion.

In Etrecheck, click Share Report->Copy Report; then start a reply here, and click the "additional text" button below the message:

and Paste

Nov 30, 2021 9:10 AM in response to rwruppel

Brief followup: I have been talking to Apple support about this. They have suggested deleting and re-downloading all the books in my library, restarting in Safe Mode, and finally even went as far as to say I need to reinstall Monterey (not too painful nowadays, just the operating system). I have done all these and it is still slow and laggy. I am in the middle of continuing to troubleshoot. I suspect that the old highlights I've added are somehow confusing Books or making it slow to render. Whatever the problem, it's very hard to use the way it is and I'm surprised there isn't a deluge of complaints yet. I'm dying to know what is causing this.

Dec 3, 2021 1:17 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I don't see an "additional text" button anywhere in Etrecheck. Perhaps I'm using it wrong. It generates a huge report, interesting but nothing stands out to me as Books related. Keep in mind that I have rebooted in Safe Mode so any reports on things which are disabled in Safe Mode are not relevant to my problem... which parts of the reports do you think might apply? I feel like posting hte whole thing here would be a bit much?

Dec 3, 2021 1:26 PM in response to wealthychef

I had a 2 hour conversation with the highest level of Apple support yesterday. I have generated an extensive report to pass on to their engineers. At this point, I feel I've tried pretty much every trick in the book as far as NVRAM, rebooting with various key combos, and other such troubleshooting preliminary voodoo. I will update this thread if and when a solution arises from Apple's engineers.

Jan 6, 2022 3:13 PM in response to wealthychef

Have you seen any resolution to this issue? I am still using the Apple Books app on Monterey 12.1 with very laggy page turning. It's bearable as long as I don't try to go back 5 or so pages to check something then go forward to the page I was on. Opening the table of contents lags a lot too. Before the Monterey update the I was reading the same book, same .epub file with no latency on page turns.

Jan 6, 2022 5:08 PM in response to cryinglocust

Nope. I suggest you call Apple Support. They were unaware of the issue. I bought a new laptop and the performance on it is much better. I think it's just a pig. Needs to be addressed but someone has to bring it to their support people. They will escalate you to their experts. Before you call, do all the things: reboot, look at book sizes, etc.

Books app is slow and laggy on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.