Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a ".madesktop" file and how can I access its data?

I love the Apple default backgrounds, and every update, I usually go to (/System/Library/Desktop Pictures) and grab the new ones and put them in my own photo album that I use to set my desktop background after the next update since they have a habit of disappearing. However, after updating to macOS Monterey, I've noticed a brand new file type. All of the new, and some of the old, desktop photos now have the file extension .madesktop and I can't figure out how to grab the photos and put them in my photo library. They used to be .heic and when I open them with TextEdit they contain some sort of web address and a reference to a corresponding .heic file. Hopefully now that Monterey is no longer in beta more information can be revealed on this subject. If anyone has any info on how these new types of files work and how to access their data, that would be immensely helpful, thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 1:50 PM

Here what I did:

1) open /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Big Sur Aerial.madesktop with TextEdit

2) get the path from the xml. In my case:

<string>/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails/Big Sur Aerial.heic</string>   

3) with Terminal launch this command:

open -a Finder "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails/"    

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 1:50 PM in response to dHYSICS

Here what I did:

1) open /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Big Sur Aerial.madesktop with TextEdit

2) get the path from the xml. In my case:

<string>/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails/Big Sur Aerial.heic</string>   

3) with Terminal launch this command:

open -a Finder "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails/"    

Dec 27, 2021 2:21 PM in response to mcflay

4) Assuming all photos have already been downloaded from the Desktops & Screen Saver settings, searching in the entire hd the names from the thumbnails folder I found that the destination of all downloaded photos is:

/Users/__your-username__/Library/Application Support/com.apple.mobileAssetDesktop/

The other photos are stored in:

• /System/Library/Desktop Pictures
  • /Library/Desktop Pictures

Nov 2, 2021 7:05 PM in response to dHYSICS

dHYSICS wrote:

... If anyone has any info on how these new types of files work and how to access their data, that would be immensely helpful...

You initiate the download by clicking on the cloud symbol on the thumbnail of course...within Desktops & Screen Saver; then you should find them in your Finder folder as well as System Preferences.

The older Desktop image can be found, Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy & paste:

/Library/Desktop Pictures

The new Images after downloaded from within System Preferences can then be found, copy and paste:

/System/Library/Desktop Pictures

it seems you can still drag a copy to your desktop if you are looking for alternate location...

I guess if necessary you can piece together the complete path from the .XML mentioned above to download the .heic from Apples Content Distribution Network, but this seems laborious

for example: Big Sur 6016 x 6016

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2021/mobileassets/071-34545/7E2884C0-2F21-4028-B22E-2EA162B35135/com_apple_MobileAsset_DesktopPicture/98b5bd24c8bb188ec6101ea415ec049fdd03de84.zip

Sooner are later they will show up on the interwebs,

for example Every Default macOS Wallpaper – in Glorious 6K Resolution

What is a ".madesktop" file and how can I access its data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.