Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update stuck

Multiple failures of trying to update from 11.6.1 to Monterey. Update reports achieves 12.13 gB of 12.13 gB, but won't complete the download. Multiple restarts fail to clear this. Unable to get beyond this.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 7:54 AM

Check in the Application folder for " Install Monterey " if it exists. Drag and Drop to Trash and Empty the Trash.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

1 - Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router.

2 - Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

3 - Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal.

4 - Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Monterey.

5 - It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes.

6 - Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Monterey

7 - Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup.

8 - If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Monterey Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer.

9 -Now run the Installer.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Albert J.

Check in the Application folder for " Install Monterey " if it exists. Drag and Drop to Trash and Empty the Trash.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

1 - Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router.

2 - Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

3 - Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal.

4 - Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Monterey.

5 - It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes.

6 - Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Monterey

7 - Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup.

8 - If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Monterey Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer.

9 -Now run the Installer.

Nov 22, 2021 10:16 PM in response to Albert J.

Steps for Disabling the File Vault

Step 1 : click on apple logo >> system preference >> security and privacy >> File Vault.

Step 2 : click on the lock button at the lower left corner , then enter administrator name and password.

Step 3 : click turn off File Vault.

After the FileVault get turned off you can try to update your Mac using the download macOS Monterey Installer

Thanks

Jan 10, 2022 6:16 AM in response to Albert J.

I slogged through the same situation - download finally completed then my 27" 2021 iMac "just sat there." I decided to simply leave it in that state one evening and when I checked the next morning, the Monterey Start-Up screen was waiting for me. Installation was absolutely flawless from there on.

The Monterey code must be huge and requires a lot of time to download. Then it has to verify the downloaded file which takes another meal or two! Then it has to run the actual install. My download & verification took a day and a half of thin patience but once the actual installation began it was smooth. On final restart my screen was exactly as it had been, nothing was missing, nothing was changed. Perfect.

If you get to the "12.13 of 12.13" or whatever stall, give it an overnight wait. Not what you would expect but it did finally complete for me. GOOD LUCK! And BTW, the new OS is smooth and peppy as can be.....

Jan 11, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Albert J.

Great! wait and wait, then wait some more (24 hours and counting) but why do i have to stare at a black screen and progress bar while its doing nothing?

If this is a downloading, router issue, do it in the background.

If its an installation issue, its downloaded already, why is it taking 24 hours+ and still not finished?

Why am I still staring at an expensive paperweight?

Why is my productivity at zero?

The Apple Recommended Answer is a joke, the machine does not start, it won't reboot into safe mode, it won't start in any mode other than Stuck Mode. Its a black screen and progress bar saying says Estimating time remaining, and it obviously can't do that either because that's been there since I woke up this morning.

Apple recommends ....

"Once Logged in"

Doesn't matter what I do, it ends up on a black screen estimating time remaining, there is no way to log into anything.

Hold on, I don't know if its downloading or installing because Apple can't afford the cost or time to tell me what's going on. The progress bar has not moved for 24 hours.

I've restarted router and computer, its on an ethernet cable not wifi and I have a 30Mbps internet connection.

Well done Apple for once again providing a famous Apple User Experience, and then blaming my internet connection. It's as if you are in some sort of competition (with yourself) to see how big you can make the next update. 35Gb, 44Gb. you seriously need to take a look in the mirror and come back into the real world, where Apple users are sat around for days waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting with no idea what is going on. Do you know, or are you just in the game of causing these problems?

Jan 11, 2022 10:33 AM in response to PRP_53

This is a community forum, which is where conversations take place based around the problem, not necessarily the user. I have the same problem, so I'm joining the conversation. You're suggesting that a community forum only answers questions to a single user, if that user was the one asking the question.

There are no real answers on this page, so what makes you think starting another question, and talking about the same problem, would generate any answers there? Typically, on almost all forums I know, asking the same question elsewhere gets a load of answers telling you to go look at the previous user who asked the same question, which is what I'm doing.

I gave you context, a black screen showing a progress bar that has not moved for 24 hours, perhaps I missed the bit where this started by clicking the Update notification, but with a page title of Monterey Update stuck, I thought that was the topic of the conversation.

Things tried so far...

Waiting

Restarting router and computer, progress bar back to 1/3, me back to waiting

Disconnecting computer to reset SMC

Trying to log into Safe Mode, holding Shift key, computer just reboots in a loop

Trying to log into HD (Option key), progress bar to 2/3 then computer shuts down.

Trying to log into Update Installer, progress bar to 2/3 then computer reboots, progress bar back to 1/3, me back to waiting

Normal restart, goes into Update Installer (I assume), progress bar back to 1/3, me back to waiting.

So after all that, one finds the user (me) staring at a Monterey update that is stuck.

Jan 11, 2022 2:00 PM in response to d@vidmac

There are Contributors who will offer assistance only to the Original Owner of the original question. This makes is easier to keep track of the progress and or other issues in the quest for a solution.

It does not necessary mean one can no joint in and contribute with constructive suggestions and or solutions.

As it appears, the Original Owner @ Albert J. has yet to rejoin their question with any new of progress. Several othesr have joined in with their own Issues, Though similar in scope and focus, each has a uniques setup and to attempt to hand all would diminish the really focus which is the original question.

Thusly, to get really individual attention and possible solution it was and is suggested to open a new question to insure the maximum focus on their individual issue

Feb 3, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Albert J.

I have been using Macs since 1994, got through the old x68 systems, used all the 10.x OSs, done lots of upgrades on all kinds of Machines.

I used to work as a help desk technician in an Italian University with lots of Macs.

I have NEVER, N-E-V-E-R been so frustrated until this moment.

It's 3 days now, I am trying to upgrade a 2019 Intel MacBook Air from 11.6.3 to Monterey.

I have tried all the help steps in this thread.

My network works perfectly. The download process has never been so slow (hours...) and constantly ends up in a freeze at 12.16 GB. If I restart everything gets lost and I have to re-start from scratch, if I don't, nothing happens.

I am really fed up with this and this is the first time in 28 years of satisfying Mac experience.

You know, we don't have time to waste, we'd like to use our machines for some productive work.

As usual, I would like to do a clean install of the OS, but I can't since I can't get the installer file.

My last resolution is to perform a network recovery reset to Big Sur and then try again.

But what a drag!

Please Apple fix this. I am really, really fed up (and in good company, I see).

Feb 6, 2022 4:30 AM in response to Lorenzo Buresta

UPDATE - Erased HD. Reinstalled Mojave through internet recovery. Applied latest patches.

Tried to download full Monterey installer, always stops at a few Mb with 'an error occurred while installing the selected updates'.

And, AS LATELY USUAL WITH APPLE UPDATES, download speed is painfully slow...

Tried with safe boot: nothing.

Hard reset the router and manually re-configured it: same errors.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 3, 2022 8:08 AM in response to d@vidmac

Join the club. Apple has dumbed us down. No indication of progress except a 4pixel high white line on black background. Mine moved to halfway (ish? Can't tell without a ruler) and stayed that way for over day.

Trying to do the Monterey 12.1.x update... its only 1GB. Wifi is Excellent (right under the AP). Apple's implementation of updating NEEDS to give the option of an ACCURATE time and remaining progress. Not some "About 45 mins.." then half that or no longer progress. I want my time back.

Don't want to sympathize with Windows users but atleast updates show progress in percent and accurately.

I know Apple has a verbose mode on boot, but what about those who need to admin hundred of these for users..remotely and not have any idea what is wasting our time (and money). Frustration.

Mar 3, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Eddie Ski

Hi Eddie I finally succeeded but for sure it wasn't thanks to Apple Update services. I had to find a workaround and I must say thanks to a MacIntosh users' site ( I don't know I can even mention it here, due to Apple policies). Do a bit of search and you will find a viable solution.

Best wishes and let's hope Apple will give us 'traditional' Mac Users a bit more attention.

Monterey update stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.