You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro freezes - FaceBook only

I have a brand new iPad Pro, 11 inch, WiFi only, running iPadOS 15.1. It works perfectly EXCEPT for the FaceBook app. The app loads and I can scroll through posts but as soon as I touch reply or like or try to read replies - it freezes - every single time.

I have uninstalled the app, restarted the ipad, reinstalled the app, restarted the ipad, and it still does the exact same thing.

This is the ONLY app that has this issue.

Any suggestions?

Shelley

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 7:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:00 AM

I have found what is causing the issue for me - it is the “Magic” keyboard. If I remove the iPad from the keyboard - the FB app works perfectly - reattach the keyboard - fb freezes. Are you using a Magic Keyboard?

Shelley

Similar questions

115 replies

Nov 6, 2021 6:18 AM in response to Aprilfool54

I’m NOT using an Apple keyboard, but a generic Bluetooth keyboard. SAME ISSUE! I use the iPad for my business, which is about 99% conducted on Facebook. This freezing is a very real issue for me. I use only the Facebook app because of its ease of use. I bought this iPad two day ago thinking that it would be a great upgrade for me and could help me with my work flow. Now I am really upset that so much of my work is compromised! I know I can use Facebook online but there are reasons I don’t want to - the app is streamlined and efficient - UNTIL NOW. Apple, please fix this apparent glitch!!!

Nov 4, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Aprilfool54

Hi Aprilfool54,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having trouble with the Facebook app on your iPad. We’re happy to point you in the right direction.

If you haven’t already, make sure you’ve tried the steps outlined in this article: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Since the issue only occurs with Facebook, if the above steps don’t help, you will want to reach out to the developer for further troubleshooting: How to contact an app developer

Have a great day.

Nov 17, 2021 7:59 AM in response to Lelandrh

Lelandrh wrote:

I turned Accessibility on as suggested, and, to my surprise, FB did not lock up. BUT, that also changes the normal functions of some of the keys (like the space bar, for example)

You seem to have missed the 2nd part of the temporary fix. Try it:

"Tap on Commands and clear the special action for Space and any other key that causes problems."

Let Apple know they need to issue a permanent fix via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 23, 2021 3:16 PM in response to Aprilfool54

Interesting discovery. If I go into Settings -> Accessibility and turn ON “Full Keyboard Access”, the Facebook app works as expected with the Apple Magic Keyboard. However, the arrow-navigation and other things that feature turns on are also super annoying if you don't need them. Other things I tried before stumbling on this:

• turning off additional keyboards (like Emoji, Grammarly, etc) - no change.
  • reconnecting the Apple Magic Keyboard after starting the FB app without it results in the app not accepting the hardware keyboard input.
  • uninstalling the Facebook app, rebooting and reinstalling doesn't help either.

All things point to a iPadOS-level bug specifically affecting the FB app. Or possibly the FB app relied on a particular behaviour from iPadOS which was changed in the recent updates. Either way, Apple and Facebook devs need to get together and fix it.

Nov 17, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I turned Accessibility on as suggested, and, to my surprise, FB did not lock up. BUT, that also changes the normal functions of some of the keys (like the space bar, for example) when using other apps. For example, when I started to type my response, when I hit the space bar, Firefox opened a private tab! So this is NOT an ideal solution. If I want to use FB it’s a lot easier just to remove my iPad from the Magic keyboard than mess with Accessibility settings. And, quite frankly, you shouldn’t have to mess with settings like this for any app!

IPad Pro freezes - FaceBook only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.