Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 A 1469 can’t connect from my phone

I just bought Apple TV 3 A1469 and after updating and factory reset I can’t connect my iPhone with the device because is not appearing in airplay, can I get help ?

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 6:21 AM

Check if your ATV activation has failed. Goto Settings > General > About

If Failed, download this app from Mac and follow instructions, below.  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

1. Connect ATV via microUSB to Mac.
  2. Download and launch app from App Store
  3. Click on "apps" on left side
  4. Click "Activate" in middle of screen
  5. Give app a good review if it worked.

Apple told me they are working on a fix with an update but have apparently said this to users in the past.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Denache

Check if your ATV activation has failed. Goto Settings > General > About

If Failed, download this app from Mac and follow instructions, below.  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

1. Connect ATV via microUSB to Mac.
  2. Download and launch app from App Store
  3. Click on "apps" on left side
  4. Click "Activate" in middle of screen
  5. Give app a good review if it worked.

Apple told me they are working on a fix with an update but have apparently said this to users in the past.

Nov 3, 2021 9:49 AM in response to Denache

Factory reset wipes the device and puts it back to it's original settings. This means it needs to be setup again, including network. If it says activation failed it means the Apple TV is not properly connected to the network. Go into network settings to ensure it is connected. It may also mean there is an issue with the time server, which means you would need to check your router (typically it means checking that port 123 is open..you would have to check router manual if unsure).

Nov 23, 2021 8:15 AM in response to wayne217

hmm sorry for that.

this is what came up in another thread. I don’t know if it works, haven’t tried:

”I can confirm this worked! After a week of restores restarts and an hour long conversation with Apple Support, this worked!

1. Installed 3utools on my Lap Top
  2. Connected my 3rd Gen Apple TV to the power and connected it via USB on my laptop
  3. Start 3utools to find the Apple TV
  4. Selected More 
  5. Selected “Batch activation” 
  6. Clicked all and Start 

Finished.

Plugged back into TV and the casting/screen mirror works!

Nov 23, 2021 11:17 AM in response to Denache

On windows

2. Connected my 3rd Gen Apple TV to the power and connected it via USB on my laptop
  4. Selected More 
  6. Clicked all and Start 

Finished.

On Mac

Use/install apple configurator 2 on your IMac or MacBook.

connect to ATV micro usb.

Choose Apple TV3

Choose Profile

Choose Activate

Nov 24, 2021 12:32 PM in response to Denache

I can confirm this worked! After a week of restores restarts and an hour long conversation with Apple Support, this worked, I copied it from another forum.

3. Start 3utools to find the Apple TV(don’t worry if detected as iPhone still works)
  4. Selected More
  6. Clicked all and Start

Finished.

cheers!

Dec 12, 2021 12:09 AM in response to cjfred

Sorry it didn’t work for you. I did nothing special. I just connected the ATV to the internet, did a reset to factory defaults ( including the latest software update) and then the configurator thing.

Maybe this Windows method works for you?

1. Install 3utools on my Lap Top
  2. Connect 3rd Gen Apple TV to the power and connect it via USB to laptop
  4. Select More 
  5. Select “Batch activation” 
  6. Click all and Start 

of not, I don’t know

Dec 30, 2021 2:38 PM in response to Ant2007

On windows

1. Install 3utools on Windows pc/laptop
  2. Connect 3rd Gen Apple TV to power and connect it via USB to pc/laptop
  4. Select More 
  5. Select “Batch activation” 
  6. Click all and Start 

Plugg back into tv

On Mac

Use/install apple configurator 2 on your IMac or MacBook.

connect to ATV micro usb.

Choose Apple TV3

Choose Profile

Choose Activate

Nov 26, 2021 3:14 PM in response to RKG61

Thank you RKG61! This COMPLETELY fixed it for me!

simple to use, load up, connect a typical microUSB cable to Apple TV to the mac, double click in the giant AppleTV imagE, profiles on left panel, click “Activate”. Fixed!

(strange how ATV3 just didn’t even mention activation or any task required! Pics show just how easy the UI is)

Nov 3, 2021 9:45 AM in response to vazandrew

Hei,

Thank you for replaying and yes I did connect them at the same network, I did factory reset the apple tv device. When I try to connect from my iphone to apple tv the option doesnt appear on airplay , or trying from control center to activate screen mirroring doesnt find the device. Another thing which I dont know if it has something to do with the troubleshooting is when I go on the menu / settings/about i get at the bottom activate device fail. Any tips helps :) thank you folks

Nov 5, 2021 12:38 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks - I have tried both those solutions. Meaning port 123 is opened to Apple TV and I have tried resetting etc while connected through an ethernet cable. Still advises not authenticated. I have not tried another WIFI as the Apple TV doesn't seem to see when I turn on my iPhone hotspot. The Apple TV has updated to the latest firmware. Thx again.

Apple TV 3 A 1469 can’t connect from my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.