Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd gen activation fail

My Apple TV gen 3 will not pass the activation. I have tried what I think is everything. I’ve unplugged my router and reset. Unplugged the Apple TV and restored. Tried resetting it through iTunes via computer. And I have signed into iTunes. I am able to purchase things but I can’t screen mirror which was the whole point of buying this device. I have also tried different wifi networks with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:16 AM

On Mac I installed Apple Configurator 2 via AppStore. Then I connected the AppleTV 3 with micro USB. Select "profile" and activate. Done

Found solution here: https://communities.apple.com/de/thread/253323316?answerId=256293324622#256293324622 (in german)

104 replies

Dec 18, 2021 6:29 AM in response to Jmansrt

Check if your ATV activation has failed. Goto Settings > General > About

If Failed, download this app from Mac and follow instructions, below.  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

1. Connect ATV via microUSB to Mac.
  2. Download and launch app from App Store
  3. Click on "apps" on left side
  4. Click "Activate" in middle of screen
  5. Give app a good review if it worked.

Apple told me they are working on a fix with an update but have apparently said this to users in the past.

Nov 15, 2021 5:30 AM in response to Cremasse

I search for a Solution and i found one and the only one that work !!

The solution is only in german that’s why I’ll translate for you

1. install 3utools on your windows pc
  2. Connect your TV to the power and connect it to the USB on your pc
  3. Start 3utools and if the pc has found the Apple TV..
  4. click “more”
  5. it will opens a page where you have to search for “Batch activation” and click there
  6. then click “all” and start

Ready ! Finally it works

(sorry for my bad english)

Nov 23, 2021 4:38 AM in response to Linda_1212

I can confirm this worked! After a week of restores restarts and an hour long conversation with Apple Support, this worked!

1. Installed 3utools on my Lap Top
  2. Connected my 3rd Gen Apple TV to the power and connected it via USB on my laptop
  3. Start 3utools to find the Apple TV
  4. Selected More
  5. Selected “Batch activation”
  6. Clicked all and Start

Finished.

Plugged back into TV and the casting/screen mirror works!

THANK YOU!

Jan 2, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Linda_1212

“I search for a Solution and i found one and the only one that work !!

The solution is only in german that’s why I’ll translate for you

1. install 3utools on your windows pc
  2. Connect your TV to the power and connect it to the USB on your pc
  3. Start 3utools and if the pc has found the Apple TV..
  4. click “more”
  5. it will opens a page where you have to search for “Batch activation” and click there
  6. then click “all” and start

Ready ! Finally it works

(sorry for my bad english)”

cremasse - your above solution worked beautifully. For all those with failed activation and no airplay:

1. Restore your Apple TV 3 via iTunes
  2. Download and open the 3utools and follow the above procedures outlined by cremasse.
  3. plug back into tv and check settings> general > about, if the activation failed line is there. If not, try airplay/ mirroring with MacBook/iPhone or iPad.

It worked like a charm for me.

cheers!

Nov 14, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Jmansrt

My first post seems to got lost ;_;

Edit: It got removed, so please look up the programs names in the thread:

I spend hours trying to activate my ATV3, with this solution here it finally works!!

https://communities.apple.com/de/thread/253323316

I used ***** on my windows laptop and connected the ATV via Micro-USB.

I had to install some drivers but then under "More" I clicked "Batch Activation".

With a Mac you can use ****.

I can now use Airplay =)

Hope it works for you!

Nov 27, 2021 1:26 AM in response to Jmansrt

Same for me, and in above thread too. Mine has been like it for over a week maybe two since I did a restore. Can't remember why I did the restore now. I was originally facing glitching while mirroring and tried reset and reboot but couldn't get the AppleTV to connect to the router over ethernet, it just keeps failing to get an IP address and sitting on a 169 address instead of a 192 address, so I have to use WiFi which I was trying to avoid to cut down on the amount of WiFi traffic in the same room. So I think I did a restore to try and fix the network LAN issue but it made it worse as now I have the activation issue and can't screen mirror at all.

There are these two threads too.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253337000?answerId=256242360022&page=1

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252985860?login=true

Dec 23, 2021 3:50 PM in response to Jmansrt

Bought a used 3rd gen to use in a guestroom today, have another 3rd gen that works perfectly on the same network. Connected to network no problem, paired iPhone as remote not problem put could not airplay even after following all the recommended procedures from Apple ;

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204291#:~:text=Make%20sure%20that%20your%20AirPlay,with%20AirPlay%20or%20screen%20mirroring.

... nothing. Then I found this solution and it works. Thank you, it really should not be this complicated.

Nov 23, 2021 11:22 AM in response to Jmansrt

On windows

2. Connected my 3rd Gen Apple TV to the power and connected it via USB on my laptop
  4. Selected More 
  6. Clicked all and Start 

Finished.

On Mac

Use/install apple configurator 2 on your IMac or MacBook.

connect to ATV micro usb.

Choose Apple TV3

Choose Profile

Choose Activate

Nov 27, 2021 2:05 AM in response to TalcumBoy

On windows

4. Selected More 
  6. Clicked all and Start 

Finished.

On Mac

Use/install apple configurator 2 on your IMac or MacBook.

connect to ATV micro usb.

Choose Apple TV3

Choose Profile

Choose Activate

Dec 14, 2021 3:54 PM in response to Jmansrt

After a million tries.... the following process worked! This is using all legitimate tools, so no drama!

1. To fix failed activation, and therefore restore AirPlay capability, on a Mac, install Apple Configurator 2 from the app store.
  2. Plug in your Apple TV 3rd Gen to power and to a Mac using a micro USB cable from the Apple TV to the Mac.
  3. In the configurator, perform an Apple TV OS "Restore" using the "Prepare" gear icon in the top menu bar (it should prompt you that you must do this anyway).
  4. Once it has been restored using the configurator, do what the prompts say: "Unplug USB cable and power."
  5. Then, "Power it back on" and wait for it to boot.
  6. When the status light is solid (booted), plug in the USB cable connected to your Mac again. You will then see a "mirrored" display of a TV and Apple TV icon with the setup screen as if it were plugged into a TV.
  7. Click on it, and it will then display the Apple TV home screen and version info, etc. on the right. A menu of 4 items will now be available in the left-hand column of the configurator app.
  8. Click on the second item "Apps". You will see a message "Apple TV not activated".
  9. Click the button that says "Activate".
  10. Bam!
  11. Unplug from Mac and power, plug into the TV you would like it on, and carry on with a normal, activated setup!

Hope this helps - let Apple know that they should use this method. IT WORKS!

Apple TV 3rd gen activation fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.