Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Connection Problems in macOS Monterey

Hey Apple Support Community,

After upgrading to macOS Monterey recently, I have started experiencing a few issues with the bluetooth headphones I normally connect to my Mac:

• The signal stutters in and out briefly while listening to music, and this happens about once a minute or so.
  • Less frequently, the bluetooth connection drops completely, and then reconnects several seconds later.

I don't have these issues when my headphones are connected to my iPhone (iOS 14). The headphones I am using are Bose NC 700s. I have not yet tested a different bluetooth audio device, but I will update this post when I do. Also, this issue occurs even when I am stationary and sitting right next to my Mac.

Obviously this has made the experience of using bluetooth in Monterey pretty awful. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues, or similar ones, and if anyone has a solution for it.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 10:39 AM

Hey everyone, I reposted this question again, hoping that it will catch Apple's attention:

Bluetooth Connection Problems in macOS Mo… - Apple Community

In the meantime, the problem has gotten a lot worse for me. At this point, I can't even listen to a full song without the connection stuttering.

Similar questions

111 replies

Feb 3, 2022 4:32 AM in response to dot-fig

You may try this thing - go to Settings --> Sharing and uncheck AirPlay Receiver (this is the feature that allows iOS devices to display photos and videos on a Mac that has this feature on - https://support.apple.com/en-za/guide/mac-help/mchleee00ec8/mac).

It's a cool feature that Apple introduced recently but unfortunately, it creates a mess with Bluetooth connectivity as well (at least that has been the case with my iMac '27 2019, with which I've been having this issue since last August and finally figured out because of this thread that this setting can be the culprit)

Nov 4, 2021 12:32 PM in response to ParadeChili

Hey ParadeChili,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand a set of Bluetooth headphones are no longer working well on your Mac since upgrading to macOS Monterey. Let's help.

Thanks for letting us know this same Bluetooth headset works just fine with your iPhone. Testing another Bluetooth headset with your Mac is an absolute great step to take to determine if there is an issue with your Bluetooth connection on the Mac or maybe even the macOS itself. Keep us posted on that result.

In the meantime, have you tried to reset the Bluetooth Module by toggling Bluetooth off and on from the Bluetooth menu item or Bluetooth System Preference pane? If not, give that a go and then test for improvements: Turn Bluetooth on or off on Mac.

If the issue continues, let's have you disconnect any external devices, non-primary monitors/displays, or hard drives connected to their Mac to see if they are causing any interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference.

Should the behavior continue after that, reset the SMC: How to reset the SMC of your Mac and NVRAM next: Mac startup key combinations

Keep us posted on how things go and if the issue remains.

Best regards.

Nov 18, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Sharon_419

I have the same issue after the macOS upgrade, with 2 diferent wireless headphones (Bose QC 35 II, and AirPods gen 2). The connection simply drops in the middle of a call (Teams/Zoom), or I break out and no one in the call can hear me properly.

To be mentioned the following:

• Bluetooth connection on both headsets works perfectly fine on my iPad and iPhone, no connectivity issues there;
  • I am standing next to my laptop, it's not a distance thing
  • I did not have this issue on Big Sur but right after the upgrade.
  • sound problems occur not just in calls, but while listening to music.

I tried everything, removed all existing bluetooth devices and added them back again, removed the bluetooth files from Library, reset the SMC.

I see some suggestions that the new AirPLay receiver is causing interferences in Bluetooth connectivity with headphones and other peripherals.

I tried to remove it from System Preferences -> Sharing, but I don’t even have Air Play Receiver option (i think my model does not support it: MacBook Pro 2015).

This is becoming very frustrating, anyone else found another solution/workaround for older gen macs? Any release date for the bug fixes that were reported so far for this OS?

Feb 3, 2022 4:25 AM in response to Stephanie Michelle

I was in contact with Support team from Apple, and they have suggested the following:

1. Reset NVRAM (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063) -> it didn't do anything, no improvement
  2.  First Aid (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210898) didn't try it out yet, it looks more complicated, will try over the weekend

Last resort if the first 2 won't work:

3.Reinstall OS (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904) i hope i don't end up doing this, as it is a hassle for a non tech person to go through all that.

I have updated yesterday to Monterey OS Version: 12.2 (21D49), it did not solve the issue, i was hoping that maybe a fix will come with this new version, but no.

As a workaround, I am now using the built in microphone from the laptop, rather than the one from the headphones.

Settings -> Sounds -> Input -> select Built in mic. This is the only workaround that is not highly disruptive for my calls. It does not affect the sound, it does not drop/stutter during the calls. But it's not ideal. i am glued to the MacBook during the calls, cause i need to be close to the built in microphone. So i might as well get back to the wired headphones. Frustrating.

Dec 10, 2021 1:14 AM in response to ParadeChili

Hi Apple Support,

I am having the same Problem after updating to macOS Monterey.

My Device : Apple MacBook Pro 16inch 2019 Model

Bluetooth Device : Samsung Galaxy Buds + & JBL Flip 5

• The signal stutters in and out briefly while listening to music, and this happens about once a minute or so.
  • When i am Teams call or Google meet or Zoom call , Bluetooth suddenly get disrupted & the listeners are unable to hear me. Then i have disconnect & reconnect for them to hear me.

These above two problems are infuriating & frustrating to say the least.

NB : These issues were not there while using BigSur

Thanks

Nov 5, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Sharon_419

Hey Sharon_419,

Thanks for the quick response! I haven't gotten around to testing out a different Bluetooth headset, but I did try the other solutions you mentioned.

First, I tried resetting the Bluetooth module. This didn't resolve the issue. Nor did disconnecting my monitor and keyboard.

I wasn't able to reset the NVRAM on this MacBook Pro because it has a firmware password, but I was able to reset the SMC. After resetting the SMC, the issue remains, but it's less severe. The signal only stutters occasionally (it has only happened once in a few hours), and the connection has not dropped completely.

So, I'll take the SMC reset as the solution for now. I hope a future software update will solve this issue completely.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2021 6:27 AM in response to dot-fig

I'm having the same issue (I've posted a separately on this ). Since installing Monterey, I have not been able to connect to my Bose speaker via Bluetooth. Both the speaker and MacBook say I am connected but the music continues to play from my Mac and not the speaker. I've tried reseting Bluetooth (shift+option-reset) but the reset option hon longer appears in the Bluetooth dropdown menu

Nov 27, 2021 12:48 AM in response to ParadeChili

I've done all of the above too, and it didn't work. I talked to Apple Support and had 2 calls with a advisor and a senior advisor, but seems the problem is not getting solved. This had never happened pre-Monterey. I reinstalled Monterey and still couldn't fix the issue.

Can't use my bluetooth earphones.

Can't Airdrop.

Can't connect to my iPhone through bluetooth.

Somebody help :(

Nov 27, 2021 12:49 AM in response to Sharon_419

I've done all of the above too, and it didn't work. I talked to Apple Support and had 2 calls with a advisor and a senior advisor, but seems the problem is not getting solved. This had never happened pre-Monterey. I reinstalled Monterey and still couldn't fix the issue.

Can't use my bluetooth earphones.

Can't Airdrop.

Can't connect to my iPhone through bluetooth.

help me Sharon :(

Nov 29, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Thunderstr_ck

Same here! This is Ridiculous that this problem is still going on and has not been fixed yet. My Bluetooth does eventually work after about 20 minutes. But not until I wait. And also my hard drives do not show up for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then they eventually pop up sometimes I have to unplug and plug them back in I don’t even know if that works it doesn’t work right away. But then eventually they show up and I’ve already sent them to be visible in the preferences. This OS is terrible.

Bluetooth Connection Problems in macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.