Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files will not upload to iCloud via iCloud.com

I have been trying to upload several files into my iCloud folder using iCloud.com and each time I get an error message saying "(File Name) couldn't be uploaded. Try uploading the file again later."

I have 1.88 TB (out of 2 TB) of storage space left in my account, so space is not the issue. I have tried uploading in multiple ways...drag-and-drop and using the actual Upload button/tool. Neither works; the error message is the same.

I have never encountered this problem before. Does anyone know why it's happening or how to fix it?

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 3:16 PM

66 replies

Nov 4, 2021 12:58 PM in response to KidKerouac

Hello KidKerouac,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, there are issues uploading files to the iCloud website. We'll gladly help out.

If possible, try a different browser and make sure uploads aren't interrupted or too many connections at once which might interrupt the process.

Otherwise, if you still can't find a way to upload it, reach out to Apple Support directly or leave website feedback:

Best regards.

Jan 18, 2022 10:06 PM in response to Hanadark0

Hi everybody! this is my first post. I've also been living with this issue for the last couple of months and finally decided to have a look into the problem.

In my case, in addition to not being able to upload files to iCloud Drive via a web browser, I am also unable to save changes in my iCloud Notes from a web browser.

As far as I can tell, this is a simple DNS issue which could easily be solved by Apple. You can work around the issue by creating a local hosts file entry so that your web browser can find the IP of an application server which Apple mysteriously removed DNS entries for.

Step 1) Determine which domain name is failing in your case

• Log in to iCloud in a web browser, open dev tools (press f12 to open dev tools in Chrome)
  • Navigate to the "Network" tab in dev tools
  • Attempt to upload a file to iCloud
  • Click on one of the "singleFileUpload" items in the network log
  • Take note of the domain name in the Request URL. In my case the domain name is "p30-contentws.icloud.com" yours will probably be the same name but with a different number at the beginning.

Step 2) Find a suitable IP address to use

• open a command prompt/terminal window and run the following command:
    • nslookup contentws.icloud.com
  • Take note of any IP address in the list of addresses returned for "contentws.icloud.com"

Step 3) Create a local host file entry for the missing domain name

• Run notepad.exe as administrator then open "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
  • add the following entry to the bottom of the file:
  • 17.178.100.27    p30-contentws.icloud.com
    • replace "p30-contentws.icloud.com" with the domain name you found in Step 1
    • replace "17.178.100.27" with the IP address you chose in Step 2
  • Save the hosts file.

• Refresh icloud.com.
  • upload files successfully.

Various Notes

• These instructions are written using Chrome on Windows 10 but the same can be achieved with any browser/OS if you know how to operate your computer.
  • I'm not a mac user, but I know your hosts file is located at "/etc/hosts". Google "how to edit hosts file on mac" for more details.
  • It looks like Apple uses Akamai GTM for DNS load balancing, every time you do an nslookup you get a different list of IPs. Apple probably relies on this technology to update their applications without downtime so it's possible that at some point in time the IP you choose will be offline.
  • credit to Hanadark0 for recognizing there was a DNS problem on 12/14/21 (35 days ago). Seriously Apple. Please fix this.

Nov 9, 2021 11:35 AM in response to KidKerouac

I also am receiving this error when attempting to upload files via a browser. I have tried this with Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Both result in the error described when attempting to upload. I also have a personal account and have tried uploading to via Safari on my Mac and get the same error. I can upload directly from an iPad or iPhone that is connected to this iCloud account without any problems. Something appears to be wrong with the web interface to iCloud accounts.

Error Message:

I've been getting this error for approximately one week while using the same methods I have been using for the past several years.

Nov 15, 2021 1:53 PM in response to babh

Yes, that's the same problem I am having. I have tried multiple browsers...Safari, Firefox, Chrome. The problem occurs with all of them.

It's not as much of an issue on my personal MacBook Pro, because my account is linked and I can move files into iCloud in other ways. But non my work computer - a MacBook Air - I rely on the web interface because I don't want to link my personal account to my work machine.

It really does seem like a problem with the web interface and I'm surprised that it hasn't been addressed yet. It's still happening; I tried again today.

Nov 16, 2021 7:43 AM in response to KidKerouac

I also am having the exact same issue. I work from my home computer (with a different iCloud account at home), so I need to access my company computer through the internet. Tried Safari, Firefox, Chrome and can download files via the website but can't upload anything. Had no problems until recently. Running Monterey system at home, Big Sur at work.

Nov 17, 2021 9:18 AM in response to tygb

I appreciate the help. This is actually a clean Mac. My old motherboard fried so Apple replaced it 2 weeks back. I have not installed third-party apps, VPN, anti-virus yet.

Looking around the internet this seems to be an issue that many are having. Perhaps, it has to do with a recent software update. I am not able to save from my iPhone either.

Nov 18, 2021 1:48 PM in response to duegowop

Ok my time to chime in. I've been working on this for hours today and opened up 2 tickets with Apple. They claim they never heard of any of this so far.

I have 2 machines (MacBook Pro and Mac mini) with 2 different Apple ID logins. One is hard wired and the other is on WIFI at the house. Every effort to upload anything to iCloud.com using ANY browser all fails much like every one else in this thread.

What I did discover is that using the HOTSPOT from Verizon, my files immediately uploaded w/o any issue or warnings.

Well now isnt that interesting.....

I use Spectrum at home for internet. I did try using 8.8.8.8 as my DNS and that made no difference. Since both hardwired and wifi fail, its not my wifi equipment at home.

My IP isnt blacklisted from Spectrum that I can find but I had private relay (VPN) enabled from Apple on Safari, with a random IP, so I cant blame Spectrum's IP.

Routing?? - I am unsure what to try next but suggest to people that have this issue, try a hotspot on a cell and see if it works.

At least that might lead you down a path....

Nov 19, 2021 5:49 AM in response to dirtwulf

Try a hotspot. Really...Just some some txt file or something.

See if it works. Not sure what that might tell us if it does. My next step today is to connect the MacBook Pro directly to the cable modem bypassing all of my router and firewall gear. But I really dont think thats it as the software has not been changed since June and this all worked back then.

I really thought it would be a DNS issue and I am not 100% sure it isnt yet. But I used 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and no difference.

Nov 19, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Hanadark0

Since I cant edit my last post, here is a bit more:

Ok I tried connecting direct to cable modem with Mac laptop. Nothing else. Spectrum gave me a different WAN IP of course and a valid IPv6 address and different DNS servers.

Still nothing. Still no luck.. Epic FAIL.

So that eliminates all of my home network gear and potentially points the finger at Spectrum POSSIBLY.

Unless I am on hotspot - I cant upload to iCloud.

Files will not upload to iCloud via iCloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.