Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder columns jump back to last column

When traversing through the hierarchy and I reach some column deep enough that the horizontal scroll is active in the window. Then when I want to go back to one of the first columns by scrolling horizontal, the window scrolls/jumps back to show the last column.

I need to deselect the last objects (folders or files) to prevent the jumps.

It's like the window wants to keep showing the selection.

It happens on 2 machines, since Monterey.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 4:50 AM

Hey, thanks for your reply but... I'm using Macs since 1989 so I do know how the Finder works. :-)

The whole problem is that it doesn't work like it used to.

You should be able to scroll the window to view the hierarchy in both directions. It shouldn't jump back to the last column automatically.

I think it's a bug, but I wanted to find out if others have seen this too.

Similar questions

121 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 4:50 AM in response to jdo_apple

Hey, thanks for your reply but... I'm using Macs since 1989 so I do know how the Finder works. :-)

You should be able to scroll the window to view the hierarchy in both directions. It shouldn't jump back to the last column automatically.

Feb 4, 2022 10:55 AM in response to youcanrunnaked

youcanrunnaked wrote:

This did not work for me.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try the fix again to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 4, 2021 3:53 PM in response to Wodan

Hello Wodan,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you want to make adjustments to the way that your Finder windows work. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. Please start by taking a look here: Change view options in the Finder on Mac. This article explains what you can do as far as making size and other adjustments to make it look and work the way you are comfortable. Here’s another article that may help: Change Finder preferences on Mac.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Nov 5, 2021 4:56 AM in response to Wodan

Wodan wrote:

Compare to List View and see if it sorts your issue—

Change view options in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2022 12:50 PM in response to DjShirk

1. I have tested on selecting files other than the bottom file, it still snaps back to the last column when scrolled to the first.
  2. I repeated the test again on the cloud-based folders vs local drive (unsync), both iCloud drive and Google Drive continue to present the snap-to-last-column problem, my local files do not present the same problem. I tested multiple local folders such as Applications, Documents, User, etc, none presents problem.

Nov 5, 2021 5:01 AM in response to Wodan

I am not seeing this. I have some long folder hierarchies, open in Column View, and I can scroll left and right using my trackpad without a problem. I have "Show scroll bars" set to "automatic based on mouse or trackpad", in System Preferences->General; I only use a two finger gesture on the trackpad and do not click on any scroll bars (just in case this may be relevant).

Dec 28, 2021 11:08 PM in response to Wodan

I'm having the same problem. I've also been using Macs since the late 80's and have never experienced this until this latest update. The problem has graduated from "kind of annoying" to "very problematic" since I'm now working on a project with many files spread out among several columns that require horizontal scrolling. It's troublesome enough for me to stop in the middle of it and search the internet for a solution, which is how I came to be here.

Jan 12, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Wodan

Hi, I have tried all the suggested recommendations in this forum and the issue still persists, and it is only happening to my machine. for my co-workers is fine. It is really annoying because when I have trying to move folders from one side of the columns to the other it make me drop them in the wrong places when the jump happens. it is starting to really affect my work flow.

Jan 13, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Wodan

Same issue here. Macbook Pro 15-inch 2019 running Big Sur 12.1. Having a file selected in column view and then scrolling left/higher up the file tree allows me to only go as far as the point that the selected file moves off to the right of the finder window and then everything snaps back to the selected file.

*Edit: This happens sporadically within Finder itself, but happens 100% of the time when navigating Open/Save dialogues set to column view within apps.

Finder columns jump back to last column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.