Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 3 touchscreen intermittently not responsive

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I have seen a handful of posts noting similar problems. My iPad Air occasionally won’t respond to any touch commands (except for a press of the home key) and it has been happening with more frequency of late. I don’t use a screen guard, so it isn’t that and the iPad is kept in a protective case and has never been dropped or repaired. I have tried restarts and resets, but not help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 10:38 AM

Two troubleshooting steps to try:

A "forced" restart of your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top (power) button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top (power) button. Only when the Apple logo appears (it might take 15-30 seconds), release that button (ignore all other screens that might appear).

If the issue persists, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue still persists, contact Apple Support directly using this link:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Cdhost

Two troubleshooting steps to try:

A "forced" restart of your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top (power) button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top (power) button. Only when the Apple logo appears (it might take 15-30 seconds), release that button (ignore all other screens that might appear).

If the issue persists, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue still persists, contact Apple Support directly using this link:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

Nov 4, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Cdhost

Well, Cdhost, there might be other reasons which can cause that behavior (i.e. little internal space available, battery deteriorated due to age or too many charging cycles, screen components, etc.) but we, just users like you cannot diagnose that kind of issue remotely, sorry.

As suggested, I'd contact Apple Support or, better, I'd make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards and best of luck.

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

Nov 4, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Cdhost

The intermittent, unresponsive touchscreen issues with higher priced, larger screen iPad Pro and iPad Air models are a well known and well documented, here, in the iPad support communities.

This affects a still small, but continually growing minority of random 2017 through present iPad Pro and iPad Air models and its user base.

Now, after 3 years of this nonsense, there is still no confirmed cause and fix/solution from Apple.

NONE!

Getting one of these defective units is very random and is ONLY one of a small handful of issues going on with higher priced, larger screen iPad models that has prevented me from purchasing a new iPad Pro or new iPad Air for the past 2-3 years.

Apple and Apple support have no real fixes or solutions to this issue.

If you have a screen protector on this iPad Pro, remove it as the screen protector makes the touch screen and Pencil experiences worse.

Also, try removing your iPad's case ( it maybe too tight a fit ) and try using your iPad without it to see if this helps, or not, with your iPad touchscreen issue/s

There is absolutely no solution/s to these later iPad Pro/iPad Air touch screen issues.

Apple support can only offer superficial, “band-aid” bandage-like advice/fixes/solutions.

You can contact Apple support, but your iPad Pro/later iPad Air model maybe too old for Apple to offer any type of free or in-warranty iPad replacement and Apple will ONLY offer “band-aid“-like advice/fixes/solutions to this issue.

Apple support is pretty much clueless to this issue and Apple, itself, has never, publicly, acknowledged this issue or issued any type of device recalls.

This is something you probably didn't want to learn, but doesn't change any of the currently known facts.

So Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Nov 15, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Cdhost

It'd be really nice to know what is causing this, I've had this issue for better part of a year and all the same crap answers never fix it, as they typically don't.

APPLE, fix this, there are hundreds of posts of people with the same problem, and strangely most with the iPad Air 3. my phone never pauses, my wife's 11' iPad Pro never stalls, WHY is the air 3 seem to be cursed.

Time for a real answer.

Nov 15, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Mark S Gallagher

Apple is NOT here.

Apple does NOT read NOR participates in these, largely, Apple product user to user support communities.

See my previous comments and actions above.

If you want, You need to search online for your nearest, “local” Apple store location and call contact phone numbers and call to make an appointment to have your Apple iPad diagnosed and options presented you.

Failing that,

You need to contact Apple support via the contact support link located at the upper right hand corner of every Webpage of these Apple support communities.

Use the Hardware Repair & Device Performance support categories.

OR

by installing and using the Apple Support app found in the iOS App Store.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044

OR

Call contact Apple via the support numbers found in the link bekow.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Tap the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

And, also, send unacknowledged feedback directly to Apple below.

Tap the link below.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 4, 2021 10:43 AM in response to Cdhost

Thank you Michael and Guilio.

Unfortunately, I have tried all of the more common fix suggestions including an update to the system (this has persisted through several updates and is only getting worse). Bummer that there is still no solution to this. We are an apple family, but perhaps we need to expand our borders for tablets moving forward (although I must also admit I do not yet know of inherent problems on android devices…). I hate having a device that frustrates me as much as it can be useful.

Nov 22, 2021 4:01 AM in response to Matt-E-M

FYI,

That maybe ONLY a temporary fix.

The touchscreen issue, once a larger screen iPad gets this issue, it never really ever goes away.

The unresponsive, intermittent touch screen issue may return, forcing multiple hard resets/restarts every time to only temporarily fix this issue.

There has been NO real fix or solution to this from Apple, in over 3 years.

You need to know that the touchscreen issue could/may return.

iPad Air 3 touchscreen intermittently not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.