Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdf 1.4 on the Mac?

I have been requested by a financial institution to submit files on pdf 1.4.

I had no idea of what this is until now, but I could check on another computer with Acrobat Reader that all my files are pdf 1.3, the default and standard with Preview.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2018, running Big Sur 11.6.

How can I "upgrade" or transform my files without spending 180$ just for this occasion?

HELP WELCOME

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 12:20 PM

User applications that save or export to PDF do not have any means to specify the specific PDF version. It is what the relevant PDF library for that application provides as a default, or what version the PDF specification requires for a type of PDF. On Big Sur 11.6.1 using Pages v11.2, it exports PDF as v1.3, just as it does when printing to PDF > Save as PDF.

The current LibreOffice Writer 7.2.2 when one exports to PDF, and not choosing any General or Structure PDF options, to PDF v1.6 — because it is using its own PDF library.

If I create a new PDF with PDFPenPro 13 PDF Editor and add text, when it is saved on macOS, it is a PDF v1.3 document.

Microsoft 365 v16.54 may have its own PDF library and export Word documents to PDF v1.4. I don't have it so don't know the exported version information.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Marcelfromzurich

User applications that save or export to PDF do not have any means to specify the specific PDF version. It is what the relevant PDF library for that application provides as a default, or what version the PDF specification requires for a type of PDF. On Big Sur 11.6.1 using Pages v11.2, it exports PDF as v1.3, just as it does when printing to PDF > Save as PDF.

The current LibreOffice Writer 7.2.2 when one exports to PDF, and not choosing any General or Structure PDF options, to PDF v1.6 — because it is using its own PDF library.

If I create a new PDF with PDFPenPro 13 PDF Editor and add text, when it is saved on macOS, it is a PDF v1.3 document.

Microsoft 365 v16.54 may have its own PDF library and export Word documents to PDF v1.4. I don't have it so don't know the exported version information.

pdf 1.4 on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.