📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Upload Error - "try uploading the file again later" - no explanation

i now receive the referenced error when trying to drag and drop files

What do I do to resolve

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 3:51 PM

Well that didn't help resolve the issue: I cannot drag and drop files from internet explorer to icloud drive. I have for the past 5 or more years and now i get: iCloud Upload Error - "try uploading the file again later" - no explanation

72 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2021 3:51 PM in response to Sparks0829

Well that didn't help resolve the issue: I cannot drag and drop files from internet explorer to icloud drive. I have for the past 5 or more years and now i get: iCloud Upload Error - "try uploading the file again later" - no explanation

Jan 14, 2022 6:26 PM in response to rob-red

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I'm three months in on this - haven't been able to upload files to iCloud using any major browser available on macOS. I am now on Monterey 12.1 - not sure that the OS matters, but anyhow...

So many great comments here. I relate to the ones along these lines the most:

• What happened to making great, innovative and _quality_ products?
  • Shoddiness seems to be everywhere, in so many aspects of life today that I hardly have the energy to get upset anymore...
  • It is mind boggling that a fundamental (basic) and central service of any cloud file storage service - file upload - could be borked for so long on! On an Apple product no less for which we all in some way, directly or indirectly, pay a premium to use.

I will only add that I honestly think iCloud is sadly a very second rate service compared to many other options, that this may be the last straw. That's not a nice thing to say, perhaps, but it is true. I have only held on this long because of my own technological inertia combined with other tendrils of the Apple ecosystem.

I think some honest communication and prompt action taken to resolve this defect would have made a world of difference to Apple and iCloud customers.

Good Luck Everyone!

Dec 11, 2021 2:49 PM in response to tryg100

I use a Mac, so this is mostly a Mac fix. Maybe it will work with Windows.

First I have to be sure I’m connected to my cloud account. Then all I do is double click any folder on my desktop. Then a column of small icons appears in a new window (see picture below). Then you just click on the iCloud icon and a list of all your iCloud folders appears. Then you simply drag the documents from your desktop into the desired cloud folders l. 

I hope this works for you, even though you’re using windows. 

Nov 10, 2021 1:28 PM in response to rob-red

Hello rob-red,

I have had that same problem since November 5. I tried it from different browsers and even from Safari on my iPhone. The next day I went to a friend's house and tried to do that from her computer and from my iPhone as well, and the error continued. Curiously, I deactivate my Wi-Fi network on my device and leave the mobile data active and what do you think? The files (any) were uploaded without any problem with my mobile data. Then when trying to do this with Wi-Fi (again) the magic of uploading files disappeared. I contacted Apple technical support and they could not give me an answer for what was happening. Search on my own. I found that it is not an Apple related error but an internet provider related error. YES! I have internet service from COX and my friend who I visited when this happened also has this internet provider and that's why I couldn't upload files using her Wi-Fi network either. To corroborate my discovery, I used my device as a mobile hotspot (internet sharing) to my PC and the files were uploaded without any problem. So I came to the conclusion that it is a failure in the wireless networks of certain Internet providers but I do not know if this is happening beyond COX since this was the only network that I tried to upload files since where I live this is the most popular Internet provider but I can say that it is a problem of the Internet providers. My sister who lives in Europe tried to do this with my Apple ID and she had no problem uploading files. This is happening precisely with the file upload from iCloud Drive - Web and you could also notice this problem when you tried to use the "Advanced" tool to recover files, contacts, calendars and reminders etc. The "Restore Files" tool gave this error: "There was a problem loading restorable files. Please try again later".

Nov 5, 2021 12:37 PM in response to rob-red

Hi there rob-red,

Thanks for taking the time to join us in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're seeing an error when attempting to upload files to iCloud from your Windows PC. We're glad you're here and we can provide some guidance.

"If you receive an error when you try to move a file from iCloud for Windows, you might need to download the file to your Windows PC. After you download the file, try moving it again. " Have a look at the 'See your files and folders with iCloud Drive' section of this support article for more information:

Set up and use iCloud for Windows

Are you using iCloud Drive with iCloud for Windows? You'll want to be sure you're following the steps in the link below:

View, add, or remove iCloud Drive files in iCloud for Windows

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care!

Dec 20, 2021 8:24 PM in response to Sparks0829

At this time, December 20th 2021, the issue still persists.

I am unable to upload ANY files using the web interface using Firefox 95.x on Windows 10.

I've checked the Dev console and the file is fully transferred, but the server responds with a "400 BAD REQUEST".

My assumption is that the internal API was changed and the webui code did not get an update.

A fix or any kind of official communication is still needed.

/Begin rant.

The workarounds with installing the iCloud app are commendable, but not what I am paying the hefty AppleOne subscription for.

@Apple Support: My expectation of Apple as a premium provider, and now especially with the full commitment to cloud services via AppleOne, is to receive:

1. Proper communication
  2. A speedy fix for the issue

Reviewing the conversation so far, apart from a boilerplate support response that did not address or resolve the issue, NOTHING has happened. Do I really have to call your support hotline to get some attention?

It is mind-boggling to me how a central function of a cloud storage service (file uploads) is broken for a portion of the use cases and there is no acknowledgement of the issue. I've seen bumbling startups be more forthcoming in communications.

/End rant

Nov 8, 2021 7:26 AM in response to rob-red

I also have the same issue. I upgraded to Apple One yesterday to start importing docs from One Drive. I tried both the drag and drop, and even created a new Word doc on my desk top. Nothing will upload. This is most definitely an issue on Apples end! Hopefully it is fixed as my main goal for the whole day today was to move all my files over and now I am not able to do this.

I can however save to icloud from my iphone. I was able to share an email attachment to icloud files.

Nov 8, 2021 1:42 PM in response to Sparks0829

In response to Sparks0829 - That didn't resolve my issue either. I am completely unable to upload any files to iCloud drive and am getting the same "try uploading the file again later" message. I get the same error message whether I drag and drop or try to select the file to upload. I have upload files to iCloud drive multiple times a day for several years and have never had this issue before. Apple, please fix this!!!!

Nov 14, 2021 5:23 PM in response to rob-red

Same issue here and its been going on for at least a month now. I'm on Windows 10 and I cannot upload a simple PDF or Word document directly into iCloud from my web browser. Its extremely frustrating because I'm trying to get work done and I pay for the 2TB iCloud storage plan. I tried using a different browser; And like others have suggested, switching WiFi properties to Private (Also tried a different WiFi network, disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Chrome security settings, and even disabled all Chrome extensions). Nothing works.

Seriously this is making me consider canceling my iCloud plan and switching over to OneDrive or something. I literally cannot work around this for much longer.

Nov 16, 2021 6:02 AM in response to rob-red

I am unable to upload any file to my iCloud Drive. I have tried doing this using multiple browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc...) on multiple computers (multiple Macs, Windows 10) and multiple networks (home, cellular, a different broadband provider) and using both the drag-and-drop method and the upload button.....Nothing Works. According to people across the internet, this started 1-2 weeks ago and Lots of users are experiencing this issue. I opened a case with Apple yesterday and this was the first that the engineer had heard of it, and while I did receive 1 call back with no resolution a couple hours later, the case was closed, which is very disappointing.

Does anyone know of a fix for this frustrating issue?

iCloud Upload Error - "try uploading the file again later" - no explanation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.