Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange “Apple Music” behaviour on Apple TV 4K

I have connected the Apple TV to my amplifier with a hdmi and hdmi from the amplifier.

when listening to music on the Apple Music app the song very often starts playing on the left channel. To get music on the right (all channels) I have to move the time bar a second back or forward!?!

same thing happens when it skips to the next song.

I have tried to switch off the amp, changed settings on the amp during the song without any change. The only way to get sound to all channels is to use the time bar…

The Apple TV has been reinstalled without any luck to solve it.

Any ideas on a solution?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 6:29 AM

The solution was to deactivate the Dolby atmos sound option in the Music settings on the Apple TV. It has something to do with the automatic sound switching from stereo to muli channel sound on the the amplifier.

3 replies

Nov 5, 2021 5:26 PM in response to helrem

Hey there helrem,

Let's work together to get the sound working right.

You mentioned this occurs with Apple Music app in your Apple TV, but does the same speaker issue occur when playing other content, like a movie as one example?

We see you have tvOS 15 installed, but the latest version is tvOS 15.1.1. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. Here's a link that'll show how to Update your Apple TV.

Take care!

Dec 2, 2021 6:45 AM in response to bruno75

Hi, I have the same issue here with two Atmos capable device.

When playing an album, switching to the next song leads to a PCM 5.1stream (which is expected) but no sound in the channel beyond the stereo pair. Also the right channel is sometimes not right.

Now if you go forward, sound is played correctly on all channels.

Proposed workaround doesn't work, as Music is played in PCM 2.0 if Dolby Atmos is deactivated for the Music App.

Strange “Apple Music” behaviour on Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.