Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music not playing with usb in car

I can’t play music through connecting usb cable keeps says no connection. Yet my partners iPhone is recognised.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 6:30 AM

My iPhone XR is up to date at iOS 15.2.1 and will not play through the aux port in my vehicle. I could play it prior to the update. But my daughter can play her iPhone 11 through the aux, she is also on iOS 15.2.1. I have tried restarting. None of the apps that play audio can play on my car, when they used to

36 replies

Jun 4, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Bigskyuk

Ever since I got the latest iOS 15.5 my phone had lost its mind!!! It will only charge when it’s off, and when I plug it into my car stereo, the stereo doesn’t recognize it and switch to USB like it has been doing for the past 2 years. But when I turn off the phone and plug it into the car radio usb it charges it. So this HAS to be something wrong with the software that was caused by this stupid 15.5 update that installed while I was sleeping. I have since disabled automatics updates because this iOS has made my phone useless and in order to charge it I have to turn it off and plug it in for like 8 hours. It worked 100% fine before the update. I want my phone from 2 days ago back!! :(

Jan 26, 2022 3:43 PM in response to JennyLeAMG

That the exact issue I'm having I too have an XR and when hooked into cars USB port I get no devices connected yet it does show charging this is very frustrating as the only reason I use phone is to stream music in my truck and now that's not happening. I've called Apple support and they say it's a known issue and they're trying to find a fix I can't even downgrade to a lesser update

Nov 6, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Bigskyuk

Hello Bigskyuk,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're unable to play music from your iPhone when connected via USB to your car. We're happy to look into this with you.

Please try the steps below:

1. "Restart your device and your car.
  2. Make sure that your device is unlocked and on the Home screen.
  3. If possible, try to connect using another cable or USB port. Check the manual that came with your car to learn how to connect an Apple device.
  4. Check your charging port for any debris or damage. Make sure that your charging cable is properly inserted into the port.
  5. Update your device.
  6. Make sure that your stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.
  7. Try playing audio from a different app. If you can't play audio from a third-party app, contact the app developer for help. If you can't play audio from an Apple app, contact Apple Support."

How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car

Have a nice day!

Feb 17, 2022 11:48 PM in response to Masias63

I had same issue and got it solved thanks to another memeber post

the fix is:

go to itunes

download a song to iphone

conect to car via usb

let it connect

play that one song

then all other audio should be audible throughout car

Note:

(i had blue tooth off during the process)

for some reason you have to have at least one song on the iPhone native music app to be recognized as audio source

Aug 10, 2022 7:32 PM in response to Bigskyuk

i had issues playing Spotify. Car would play the song when plugged in but as soon as backup camera or volume adjusted it would kick it out and constantly said “No media files detected.

Fix for me:

• deleted Apple Music from my phone, reinstalled. Did not restart phone.
  • started apple music
  • plugged into USB to car
  • when the car auto played my Apple Music I closed the app, left it plugged in
  • Started Spotify with no issues, worked perfectly!!

Music not playing with usb in car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.