Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppUpdate Popup

This keeps popping up on my iMac on boot up. I keep hitting cancel, but it keeps coming back. Run a cleaner, and malware search, nothing is coming up, but I can't find any info. suggestions please

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 8:38 AM

Sorry for leaving the info on the pop up - but to say it's resolved. It was an updater from BT Cloud... it had no reference to BT on it, it took a lot of looking for by Apple to find the info. Within seconds of allowing it to update, I was told that the BT Cloud was running the latest update..... Shame on BT for not putting their name to it.

The app is called AppUpdater - wants to change settings......

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 8:38 AM in response to Osdog

Sorry for leaving the info on the pop up - but to say it's resolved. It was an updater from BT Cloud... it had no reference to BT on it, it took a lot of looking for by Apple to find the info. Within seconds of allowing it to update, I was told that the BT Cloud was running the latest update..... Shame on BT for not putting their name to it.

The app is called AppUpdater - wants to change settings......

Nov 5, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Osdog

Very good—thanks for the follow-up. For future reference, this is concerning:

Run a cleaner,

The macOS, cat-like, cleans itself and has for almost two decades. It includes elegant automated cleaning and maintenance routines that run without human intervention in the wee hour of the morning. They ever to auto-defragging. This means you do not have to do the maintenance and most cetien do not need to add a redundant third-party "cleaning' app.

To me, there is a word for apps that claim to do what your macOS is already doing for you. The Forum Language Nanny will probably not let me post that word!

There is plenty of data-based evidence here that third-party cleaning apps can slow the Mac as they interfere with that elegant programming you paid Apple to build into the system.

Nov 5, 2021 8:51 AM in response to Osdog

Generally any type of "helper" app (cleaners, AV products and similar) is discouraged for the very reason you're here. They often cause more problems than they're worth. I find the updating process on Apple's products to be simple and straight forward. Certainly far more user friendly than the disaster Windows update had become.

I'm curious, in light of your problem, why do you think you need a helper?

AppUpdate Popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.