Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is WhatsApp backing up in iCloud?

I did not understand one thing. I did not set up chat backup in WhatsApp app. Also, I turned of WhatsApp from iCloud settings but when I enter manage storage from iCloud, then when I enter backups, I see WhatsApp backup. How did that happen?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 1:28 PM

When you back up the iPhone it backs up settings data for apps. The WhatsApp in the backup is for WhatsApp settings, such as your WhatsApp contact list and other settings. It does not contain message threads. Messages are not backed up unless you choose to back them up in the WhatsApp app itself.

4 replies

Nov 5, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

In this link WhatsApp says that in order to back up messages one requirement is that iCloud drive must be turn on. Also, in this link there is no information about WhatsApp option which is in iCloud settings, so I am able to back up my messages without turning on WhatsApp option in iCloud settings. Am I right? Thank you very much🖖.

Nov 5, 2021 2:26 PM in response to batuhandasdelen

Here is WhatsApp’s backup instructions→https://faq.whatsapp.com/iphone/chats/how-to-back-up-to-icloud

It’s important to note the difference between iCloud Backup and iCloud sync. While they both include the name “iCloud” they are completely separate functions, and they don’t overlap. To enable iCloud sync for any function go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turn on the switches for data you want to sync to iCloud. Data for any switch you turn on will be excluded from an iCloud backup, as it would be redundant.

WhatsApp data can be included in an iCloud backup, or synced to iCloud, but not both. This will be different from the backup described in the WhatsApp article. The reason both iPhone iCloud backup and WhatsApp backup exist is an iCloud backup can only be used to restore a complete iPhone to a previous state; you can’t selectively restore just parts of a backup to the phone. But if you use the backup feature within WhatsApp you CAN restore just the WhatsApp chats, without restoring your entire phone.

Why is WhatsApp backing up in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.