Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whatsapp backup not working

Hi everyone,

I am facing whatsapp chat backup in my iphone 12 mini since 6 days now (last auto backup happened on Thursday 8th Dec 2022) on iOS 16.1.2 (but today I updated to 16.2).

Its not performing auto-bakcup and when I try to do, it keeps on saying "Preparing..." and never completes.

I offloaded the app and reinstall it and tried to backup and it worked well. But it worked only once. Now, again I'm trying to backup, it keeps saying "Preparing..." and never completes the process ever, and now offloading and reinstalling the app is also not working at all!

Note: My WiFi/Mobile Data is absolutely fine. I have only <20mb size to backup but still it's having such issue. I also deleted the icloud backup of whatsapp now, restarted the phone but backup is not happening.

If anyone is facing the issue then please help me.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 1:54 AM

Hi guys,

I found a working way to backup the chat but it's a workaround only as the inbuilt chat backup should function in a natural way rather than having a workaround, anyways I am sharing it here because it worked for me (I tested it twice).

1. Open Whatsapp >> Settings >> Chats >> Chat Backup >> (here we can see our backup details).
  2. Minimize the Whatsapp app (don't remove it from Recent).
  3. Go to the phone's Settings >> Click on your profile pic/name >> iCloud >> Apps Using iCloud >> Whatsapp >> Toggle to turn it OFF.
  4. Minimize the Phone's Settings (don't remove it from Recent).
  5. Open Whatsapp from Recent >> here you will see "Sign in to iCloud to back up your history. Tap here for instructions.". Again, minimize the Whatsapp app (but don't remove it from Recent).
  6. Now, turn ON Whatsapp in iCloud just like you turned it OFF in step 3.
  7. Then again open Whatsapp from Recent >> Tap on "Back Up Now". & it will backup for sure.

As I said, I tried 2 times and it worked. But still, I am waiting for official WhatsApp support guys to fix this issue as I have already emailed them and sent WhatsApp messages as well.

Thanks.

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 1:54 AM in response to sfksuperman

Hi guys,

I found a working way to backup the chat but it's a workaround only as the inbuilt chat backup should function in a natural way rather than having a workaround, anyways I am sharing it here because it worked for me (I tested it twice).

1. Open Whatsapp >> Settings >> Chats >> Chat Backup >> (here we can see our backup details).
  2. Minimize the Whatsapp app (don't remove it from Recent).
  3. Go to the phone's Settings >> Click on your profile pic/name >> iCloud >> Apps Using iCloud >> Whatsapp >> Toggle to turn it OFF.
  4. Minimize the Phone's Settings (don't remove it from Recent).
  5. Open Whatsapp from Recent >> here you will see "Sign in to iCloud to back up your history. Tap here for instructions.". Again, minimize the Whatsapp app (but don't remove it from Recent).
  6. Now, turn ON Whatsapp in iCloud just like you turned it OFF in step 3.
  7. Then again open Whatsapp from Recent >> Tap on "Back Up Now". & it will backup for sure.

As I said, I tried 2 times and it worked. But still, I am waiting for official WhatsApp support guys to fix this issue as I have already emailed them and sent WhatsApp messages as well.

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2023 9:34 AM in response to sfksuperman

Hi guys,

thanks to all that my workaround worked for you and unfortunately for some, it didn’t work.

Today again, It worked for me like before. But guys this whatsapp is not fixing this issue at all.

I contacted Whatsapp official guys but they kept telling me that there is an ongoing issue with Whatsapp and will be fixed soon but these guys are telling lies. No fix has been given till this date. Unfortunately, I deleted that email.

Jan 10, 2023 9:32 AM in response to sfksuperman

Hi guys,

thanks to all that my workaround worked for you and unfortunately for some, it didn’t work.

Today again, It worked for me like before. But guys this whatsapp is not fixing this issue at all.

I contacted Whatsapp official guys but they kept telling me that there is an ongoing issue with Whatsapp and will be fixed soon but these guys are telling lies. No fix has been given till this date. Unfortunately, I deleted that email.

Whatsapp backup not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.