Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot from External Drive in Monterey

Is it true that with Monterey you will no longer be able to boot from External drives? Does this mean that if the internal drive crashes in the boot area, that I now own a multi-thousand dollar brick? I believe in security but that seems VERY harsh. I despise Time Machine and use Carbon Copy Cloner but it appears that that would be seriously crippled! I hope I'm misunderstanding something; but, . . .

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 3:27 PM

11 replies

Nov 6, 2021 4:07 PM in response to ReluctantToChange

ReluctantToChange wrote:

Thank you for responding. I don't remember where I saw this - probably a misunderstanding or misinterpretation of something I read. I received another answer and they too stated that I will still be able to make bootable clones with Carbon Copy Cloner and use those to boot. Is that also true on the M1 systems?

If you go to the Developers website— it will answer a lot of your question

Beyond Bootable Backups: Adapting recovery strategies for an evolving platform

May 19, 2021 CCC 5.1.27 and CCC 6 can make bootable backups on Intel and Apple Silicon Macs (11.3+) right now, and we'll continue to support that functionality as long as macOS supports it.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/cloning-macos-system-volumes-apple-software-restore

Nov 6, 2021 3:29 PM in response to ReluctantToChange

ReluctantToChange wrote:

Is it true that with Monterey you will no longer be able to boot from External drives? Does this mean that if the internal drive crashes in the boot area, that I now own a multi-thousand dollar brick? I believe in security but that seems VERY harsh. I despise Time Machine and use Carbon Copy Cloner but it appears that that would be seriously crippled! I hope I'm misunderstanding something; but, . . .

Carbon Copy Cloner allows you to make a bootable clone.

Nov 6, 2021 3:55 PM in response to ReluctantToChange

Thank you. My apologies if I was unclear but I am trying to determine if:

A) I can make bootable external clones using Carbon Copy Cloner and

B) use those clones to boot from on either Intel or M1 systems.

While you were responding, I went to https://eclecticlight.co/2021/05/25/can-you-create-an-external-bootable-disk-by-cloning-an-m1-mac/ and that implies there are problems particularly on M1 systems. I will try to read that more carefully.

Nov 6, 2021 6:40 PM in response to ReluctantToChange

A) I can make bootable external clones using Carbon Copy Cloner and
B) use those clones to boot from on either Intel or M1 systems.

From what I gather from the CCC blog, you can make a bootable clone, but they don't recommend it as a backup solution.

From my experience, you must make the bootable drive on the M1 system to allow it to boot from that device. I have never been able to boot my M1 Mini from an external unless I made the external boot drive on the M1 Mini. It doesn't have the external boot options in the Startup Security Utility. I have not checked to see if I can boot up an intel Mac with that drive.

Nov 7, 2021 7:26 AM in response to ReluctantToChange

NOTE: It is very true that if the internal drive on an M1 Mac dies, the machine cannot be booted from an external drive! Also, if the boot partition becomes file corrupted, you also cannot boot from an external drive. However, in this case, a second Mac can be used with Apple Configurator2 to Revive the firmware and boot partition.

From this article:

https://bombich.com/blog/2021/05/19/beyond-bootable-backups-adapting-recovery-strategies-evolving-platform

"An Apple Silicon Mac won't boot if the internal storage has failed

.......I contacted the authoritative experts within Apple in April and they unambiguously confirmed that that is the actual result – you can't boot an Apple Silicon Mac if the internal storage has died....."

With that said, you can either create a bootable drive by either cloning or doing an external install. Also note, any macOS installation besides the current installed version running will alter the internal boot/recovery volume on the internal drive on an M1 to the version of macOS installed, whenever it os on an external drive or on an internal partition or container volume group. The result, if you run Recovery to restore the original macOS install, what ever version of macOS is configured in Recovery will be the one installed.

Example, you have Big Sur installed on your internal drive. You create an external bootable Monterey. If trying to re-install macOS on your internal, it will install Mattered and not Big Sur.

So, with an M1 Mac, some caution is required when creating a second bootable system,

Boot from External Drive in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.