Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Lossless Track to iPhone from iMac with iCloud Music Library Enabled

Hi

I have subscribed to Apple Music and have enabled iCloud Music Library

I have a number of files in my library on my Mac which have been uploaded rather than matched. A high proportion of these will have been ripped into lossless format from CDs that I own that aren't available on Apple Music.

If I stream the uploaded files from my iPhone, from what I have read these will have been converted to 256k files by Apple Music.

Is there a way for me to add the lossless tracks from my iMac library to my iPhone as having iCloud Music Library enabled seems to disable the manual sync of tracks via a cable.

Ive noticed in the Mac version of Apple Music there is an 'Add to Device' option if I click on a track. Would this help or simply download the uploaded track in 256k quality to my iPhone?

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 5:39 AM

Sort of. When you turn on Sync Library with a device that has existing content you'll be asked whether you want to merge or replace the content. If you merge the existing lossless tracks should stay on the device and be matched, or perhaps lets say aligned, with your existing uploaded (at 256k AAC) copies in the cloud.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 5:39 AM in response to rickyfrommansfield

Sort of. When you turn on Sync Library with a device that has existing content you'll be asked whether you want to merge or replace the content. If you merge the existing lossless tracks should stay on the device and be matched, or perhaps lets say aligned, with your existing uploaded (at 256k AAC) copies in the cloud.

tt2

Nov 7, 2021 5:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again I will give this a go.

Ive just created a Smart Playlist with rules

Cloud Status - Uploaded

Bitrate - Above 320kbps

Sorry to ask yet another question, do I just need to turn Sync Library off on my Mac, or Mac and iPhone before I turn it back on again and merge. Also, if this nukes my library I appreciate it is my own fault and I have a back up just in case.

I'm hoping I can check if its worked by playing the files back through a DAC

Nov 7, 2021 10:41 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again

I just turned the Music Library off on the phone and synced my lossless tracks to the iPhone.

I tested using wired connection from iPhone to DAC and saw that my library tracks with 96khz sample rate were indicating this on my DAC which is great. When I turned the iCloud music library back on the iPhone the tracks downloaded on my iPhone from my Mac library still play at the higher sample rate.

Interestingly, whilst I had the wired connection I selected hi res in the music app on the iPhone and could see the sample rates change on the DAC as indicated on the track in the app eg. 96, 192.

When I stream from the iPhone to my second gen Airport Express which is connected on the optical out to the DAC everything shows as 44hz sample rate, which Im presuming is either a limitation of Airplay 2 or my Airport Express, though this still sounds great.

Adding Lossless Track to iPhone from iMac with iCloud Music Library Enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.