Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup iMac Pro to iCloud

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 11:37 AM

May I offer some more specificity? iCloud is an excellent feature. However it is not, nor has it ever meant to be a backup option. What it does is mirrors the information on your iCloud connected devices. This is to allow cross platform sharing. It does have some backup characteristics, but if you rely on it for backing up, you are likely to loose data at some point. For backing up, you either need an external drive dedicated to that purpose (and using a backup app like Time Machine) or you can subscribe to some available web backup sites. I hope this clarifies things for you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 11:37 AM in response to 1RedHat

May I offer some more specificity? iCloud is an excellent feature. However it is not, nor has it ever meant to be a backup option. What it does is mirrors the information on your iCloud connected devices. This is to allow cross platform sharing. It does have some backup characteristics, but if you rely on it for backing up, you are likely to loose data at some point. For backing up, you either need an external drive dedicated to that purpose (and using a backup app like Time Machine) or you can subscribe to some available web backup sites. I hope this clarifies things for you.

Nov 8, 2021 6:52 AM in response to 1RedHat

Hi, 1RedHat, I think I can help you on this question

here's how: (see Link) https://support.apple.com/en-ca/mac-backup

about the only thing to consider is that you have bought enough storage space on iCloud to do the backup.... maybe 1 or 2 TB depending on the size of the hard drive/SSD in your iMac/iMac Pro.... so it's definitely possible.... setting up and using/doing a regular backup of your Mac is highly recommended and a smart thing to do. if your budget allows it, you may also want to buy and use an external storage drive of some kind, as a secondary backup, just in case you can't get into iCloud....

hope this helps you

John B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.