Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code 36

Although I found some info on this is it was quite dated so I am hoping for a newer solution that will work with my Mac. I am using a MacBook Pro 16" 2019 running Monterey 12.0.1. When transferring photo files from an external WD HD to my computer, most files transfer without a problem but some of the newest ones (not all) will not transfer. The computer needs to be manually shut down most of the time but sometimes, I will get a notification that a certain photo cannot be transferred due to Error Code 36. The whole process stops, the disk cannot be unmounted, finder relaunch freezes and the computer has to be manually shut down. Once in a while, the disk will unmount itself but the computer will still be frozen and have to be manually shut down. I have tried to delete the photo the error message refers to but am unable to do so. I have tried to download photos leaving the offending one off the download list but still no joy. To clarify, the photos were taken this summer and had already been uploaded into LR and edited then the edited files were stored in a separate folder on the same HD. No problems. Until today, I was able to transfer the edited jpeg files to my computer without any problems but not the original CR3 files. I thought I would try to copy the jpeg files to another external HD and now those won't transfer either to the external or to the computer directly. The photos will not load into any edited program I am using. I uploaded to the newest LRC 11.0, PS, DPP4 and the photos won't load to any of the either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything I can including Mac IOS. This occurred on Big Sur as well as Monterey and the previous version of LR plus the latest release. I think something has been added to the files and needs to be removed to fix the problem but I have no idea what the next step should be. Apple support has not been able to help after a couple of days and what seemed like a lifetime on the phone.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Susan

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 8:53 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 8, 2021 9:05 AM in response to sooperduty

macerror -36

Mac OS error -36 (ioErr): I/O error (bummers)

error -36 indicates that even with its built-in error correction, even after retrying 1000 times to get good data from your drive, the drive returned an I/O Error.

I/O error sounds generic, but is actually VERY SPECIFIC. it is caused by BAD Blocks, typically on the source drive. The data are beyond repair, and your only recourse is to restore that file from your backup copy.

error code 36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.