Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Disc Icons Appearing on screen

When I plug in my USB hub with my partitioned external disc connected, the disc partition icons appear both on my screen and on the HD left side banner (where they should be). This is a recent glitch after an upgrade. Previously the discs only appeared in the HD side banner.

Dragging an onscreen icon into the trash to disappear it ejects the partition.

Not a desired effect! Icon(s) should appear in the HD side banner only.

Fix appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Hi,

This is not a bug, but how Apple designed the Finder (all the way mac to Mac Classic and OS 7 days) to function.

If you don't want your drives to appear on your Desktop and only in the left-hand pane of your Finder windows, do the following:

In Finder, to to the Finder menu > Preferences > General and uncheck the External Disk option. Close the pane and try a reboot, it should be fixed.

Cheers,

Anthony

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 4:53 PM in response to chuck3400

Hi,

This is not a bug, but how Apple designed the Finder (all the way mac to Mac Classic and OS 7 days) to function.

If you don't want your drives to appear on your Desktop and only in the left-hand pane of your Finder windows, do the following:

In Finder, to to the Finder menu > Preferences > General and uncheck the External Disk option. Close the pane and try a reboot, it should be fixed.

Cheers,

Anthony

External Disc Icons Appearing on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.