You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i authorize mac os montery

When I go to download Mac OS Monterey it tells me I need to provide authorization by setting it as my start up disk. How do I do that??

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 12:14 PM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2021 12:25 PM in response to tutlek

To add to the guidance suggested by zarathu, disconnect all other external drives and devices from the Mac. Launch the installer again and, if requested, set the drive as the startup disk, then restart the Mac and try the install again.

If that fails, see if you can get the upgrade to run in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Nov 11, 2021 12:06 PM in response to zarathu

Your suggestion is not working. Still asking for "authorization". I am on a M1 Mac mini.

Frankly, very frustrating, I am using Macs since 2007, never had a problem updating the operating system. This is the first time I feel I am back at a PC, not a Mac. Macs are not supposed to have these issues and never did, until now. Very frustrating.

I am giving up on this OS update till Apple fixes this. Otherwise, I may just go back to using PCs.

Now I just have to figure out how to delete that 12 GB file from my hard drive. Any idea how to do that?

how do i authorize mac os montery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.