Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do imported photos always stay in the imports folder?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 12:44 AM

Yes - the imports folder is a list of all imports into your library. Usefull mainly for finding recent imported items, but can also be useful for older imports (eg when did I import those photos from my holiday last year)

It becomes particularly useful when the imported files don't have dates correctly set making them difficult to find in the all photos view. You don't know where to look there, but you know roughly when you imported them.

Note - these automatic folders do not contain copies of the files (no more space taken) they are just different views of your library.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 12:44 AM in response to vickiefromwildwood

Yes - the imports folder is a list of all imports into your library. Usefull mainly for finding recent imported items, but can also be useful for older imports (eg when did I import those photos from my holiday last year)

It becomes particularly useful when the imported files don't have dates correctly set making them difficult to find in the all photos view. You don't know where to look there, but you know roughly when you imported them.

Note - these automatic folders do not contain copies of the files (no more space taken) they are just different views of your library.

Nov 9, 2021 3:21 AM in response to vickiefromwildwood

All albums created automatically by Photos are similar to smart albums. They are based on your complete Photos library, and the photos in them are selected according to rules specific for this album. Additionally,the photos will be sorted also specific for that particular album.

Because the predefined albums are based on all items in the library, we must not delete items from these albums, unless we want to delete them completely from the photos library. There is no way to “remove” items from Recents or any other automatically created album.

@Tony : I find Apple’s use of the term folder in Photos horribly inconsistent and confusing. Since the first introduction of Photos in 2015, a folder has been a container for grouping albums. It could not hold any media items, only subfolders, albums and smart albums. The user defined folders are still limited to holding albums and folders, not media items. Now Apple is calling the predefined albums suddenly folders, and suddenly we are having foldes containing media items, in addition to the regular folders, containing albums. This is a very poor and inconsistent choice if terminology.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.