Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted folder and now it's read only

This is a revisited question as the link describing action has been broken.

I encrypted a folder and now when I open it, I cannot write to it even though I am the admin with 'write' privileges. Get Info shows me as having read and write, but just above that is says the folder is read only.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 12:19 PM

How did you encrypt the folder?

There is no way in macOS to encrypt a folder. You can create an encrypted disk image from a folder, but that doesn’t create a r/w disk image. If you want a r/w disk image, you have to create that from scratch, then copy the folder contents into the mounted image.

2 replies

Nov 9, 2021 2:35 PM in response to Barney-15E

You nailed it, Barney. I thought that creating an image from a folder was r/w. Was able to create a new one and moved the stuff into it like you had mentioned. Good gouge.

****... I just hate it when an Eagle guy has the answer lol. One of two gun stitchings I ever got from a mutual start was from Archie Rippeto when he was up at the Klamath Guard unit. He could make that airplane do ungodly things.

~Gomez out

Encrypted folder and now it's read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.