Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching from Wifi to Cellular

Why doesn't iPhone switch to cellular when network down at home or office?

I have no problem using cellular when I leave either but if in location where normally connect via Wifi to LAN an on to internet if either the internet goes down or the LAN goes down I need to turn off Wifi to start using Cellular.

Make sense?

Maybe I've goofed in the Settings.

Thanks for any suggestions.

iPhone XS

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 10:59 AM

When you say you phone doesn't switch over to cellular when the Internet goes down, is your router still broadcasting a signal but no Internet?

If that's the case, then no, it won't switch over when the router can't get Internet but it still broadcasting. It will switch when it it losses the WiFi signal.

Similar questions

12 replies

Nov 9, 2021 4:44 PM in response to HarrisNo

HarrisNo Said:

"Switching from Wifi to Cellular: Why doesn't iPhone switch to cellular when network down at home or office? I have no problem using cellular when I leave either but if in location where normally connect via Wifi to LAN an on to internet if either the internet goes down or the LAN goes down I need to turn off Wifi to start using Cellular.[...]"

-------

Clear the Caches:

Clear "Other":

Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Nov 22, 2021 6:50 PM in response to HarrisNo

HarrisNo Said:

"Switching from Wifi to Cellular: Before I embark on your recommended solution, several questions... Is this a frequent issue for iPhone users? Are you sure this is the problem and the easiest solution. Thanks very much."

-------

More on Clearing the Caches:

I'm not so certain of the ultimate solution. However, when it comes to an application, a cache is the latest-created snapshot of preferences that were caught (pre se) So, that's what resetting the caches does -- it rids of accidental settings in applications, and sets them to how they are in fact set in the application's preferences. So, give it a go.

Nov 23, 2021 1:06 PM in response to Kurtosis12

She would have just rolled her eyes..... Again. ;) LOL

Since the start of this post, I've found the problem. I should say our network guy remotely figured out that our power conditioning unit was not supplying consistent electricity. When I took that device out of the chain and replaced with just a power strip all was back to working 24/7. Now I have a new WattBox incoming.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate.

Switching from Wifi to Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.