Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failure to shutdown because of connected users

Since upgrading to Monterey, my mini fails to do a scheduled nightly shutdown. In the morning I find a notice that there were connected users. If I try to do a restart I also get this notification.

I have other computers on my network, including my own laptop, but I can't find any that are shown as connected, yet I get this message. I've ejected all connected drives and if there's a connected computer shown, I eject that. Yet I always get notified about connected users, even if I've just restarted it seconds before.

Where can I find what the computer thinks are these other connected users?

BTW, this only started happening with Monterey. It did not occur under Big Sur or any previous OS.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 5:06 AM

James Cook2 wrote:

I'm no sure what you mean by device management or profiles so the answer there is probably "No".

I do use Remote Management on the Mini in order to access two other computers. None have access to it.

Prior to installing Monterey this was not an issue. On Catalina and Big Sur the computer would simply shut down each night, or I could shut down it down without this dialog appearing.

Since installing Monterey it always claims there is a user sharing the computer. I can't find anything to eject or terminate that makes any difference. Just now, on a restart, as soon as the Desktop was drawn I chose Restart. It claimed there were two users connected.

Is this computer Owned by a Company, Organization or University.

If so - this computer may have been enrolled in a Mobile Digital Management Program ( MDM )

To verify - check in " Users & Groups " of System Preferences and look for an Account listing other than your user account.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 5:06 AM in response to James Cook2

James Cook2 wrote:

I'm no sure what you mean by device management or profiles so the answer there is probably "No".

I do use Remote Management on the Mini in order to access two other computers. None have access to it.

Prior to installing Monterey this was not an issue. On Catalina and Big Sur the computer would simply shut down each night, or I could shut down it down without this dialog appearing.

Since installing Monterey it always claims there is a user sharing the computer. I can't find anything to eject or terminate that makes any difference. Just now, on a restart, as soon as the Desktop was drawn I chose Restart. It claimed there were two users connected.

Is this computer Owned by a Company, Organization or University.

If so - this computer may have been enrolled in a Mobile Digital Management Program ( MDM )

To verify - check in " Users & Groups " of System Preferences and look for an Account listing other than your user account.

Nov 11, 2021 7:45 AM in response to James Cook2

Hi there James Cook2,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with shutting down and restarting your Mac mini due to connected users.

Do you have any device management, or profiles installed on the Mac?

Also, check out the information here: Allow Apple Remote Desktop to access your Mac

Finally, restart your Mac in safe mode, and test for the issue there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2021 6:54 AM in response to James Cook2

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Dec 6, 2021 5:00 AM in response to Erica_S1

Dec 9, 2021 6:58 AM in response to James Cook2

Thank you for supplying the Etrecheck Report.

The large number to system modification will come into play and maybe the source of the issue under discussion. The Application installed to manage the Shutdown process seems to be the possible source of the issue ?

Added - are the two External Drive still attached when the Automatic Shutdown is invoked ?

Once may want to review what has enable in the Sharing Applet of System Preferences.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

disk2 - WD easystore 2648 2.00 TB

disk3 - WD easystore 2647 5.00 TB

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.LogOut.plist

Executable: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'delay 3' -e try -e 'do shell script "killall Cocktail"' -e 'end try' -e 'ignoring application responses' -e try -e 'tell application "System Events" to log out' -e 'end try' -e 'end ignoring'

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.Sleep.plist

Executable: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'delay 3' -e try -e 'do shell script "killall Cocktail"' -e 'end try' -e 'ignoring application responses' -e try -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep' -e 'end try' -e 'end ignoring'

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.ShutDown.plist

Executable: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'delay 3' -e try -e 'do shell script "killall Cocktail"' -e 'end try' -e 'ignoring application responses' -e try -e 'tell application "System Events" to shut down' -e 'end try' -e 'end ignoring'

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.Restart.plist

Executable: /usr/bin/osascript -e 'delay 3' -e try -e 'do shell script "killall Cocktail"' -e 'end try' -e 'ignoring application responses' -e try -e 'tell application "System Events" to restart' -e 'end try' -e 'end ignoring'

Login Item: ~/Jobs/PanX/ServerMonitor.pandb

Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk

Dec 9, 2021 7:51 AM in response to PRP_53

I understand the security risk of sharing, but I personally run four Macs and sharing is a necessity. In trying to resolve this I've made sure that no others machines are connected. If I am being hacked, it would seem unlikely that within seconds of a restart I'd get the "connected users" message if I immediately restart again.

The two hard drives are typically connected when the scheduled shutdown should take place. One is for Time Machine, the other is for additional scheduled backups that occur before the scheduled shutdown.

As noted earlier, this was never an issue with previous systems on the same machine and with the same hard drives.

I can certainly remove the maintain plist files though I have a hard time seeing why they would be identified as connected users.

ServerMonitor is a database of my own making and has no sharing or outside connections whatsoever. It simply records the PID of a specific application for me and will someday be installed on a web server.

Failure to shutdown because of connected users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.