Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID account indicates that I have an "active recovery key" but my device indicates that the recovery is off.

Why does my Apple ID account indicate that I have an "active recovery key," but the recovery key is off on the device that I use?

To my knowledge, I have never set a recovery key for my AppleID account.

Could someone access (or mirror) my current device by having set a recovery key on one of my older devices?

Finally, if so, how can I remove the ability to set a recovery key for my Apple ID account -- at least temporarily and until I can figure out what is happening here?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 7:38 AM

Are you using Apple 2 step verification with your AppleID? When you set up 2 step verification the process generates a recovery key for you (it will be in the form of RK-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, so RK followed by 12 alphanumeric characters). During 2SV set up, that code is shown to you with a prompt warning you to write it down.

You can disable 2 step verification using the instructions in the linked document below:

See -> Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 7:38 AM in response to mk205

Are you using Apple 2 step verification with your AppleID? When you set up 2 step verification the process generates a recovery key for you (it will be in the form of RK-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, so RK followed by 12 alphanumeric characters). During 2SV set up, that code is shown to you with a prompt warning you to write it down.

You can disable 2 step verification using the instructions in the linked document below:

See -> Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple ID account indicates that I have an "active recovery key" but my device indicates that the recovery is off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.