Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does creating a Recovery Key BLOCK recovery using Recovery Contact People?

“Creating a recovery key turns off account recovery”. (How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support) It is UNCLEAR, if the Account Recovery that is turned off is the Waiting period process only (How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support), or if it also disables using Recovery Contact PEOPLE. Please clarify. Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:52 PM

These are user to user support forums, so nobody can clarify Apple’s own support or technical language for you.

But I will say this - I use a recovery key, which I made as soon as that option was introduced. It appears I can still add a recovery contact as well (although I don’t wish to do that as the key is enough for me). But simply making an account recovery key does not stop me from adding a recovery contact as well. So it appears to me that those two options are compatible.

Whether the contact alone would still be useable to recover the account is not clear to me though as that would seem to counter the very idea of an account recovery key to me? I would actually hope that, once enabled, recovery requires the key, period. No options, no alternatives. That to me seems the very point of the account recovery key system.

It is the Apple support operated automatic account recovery system that is unavailable when using a recovery key.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 5:52 PM in response to eliotSTL

These are user to user support forums, so nobody can clarify Apple’s own support or technical language for you.

But I will say this - I use a recovery key, which I made as soon as that option was introduced. It appears I can still add a recovery contact as well (although I don’t wish to do that as the key is enough for me). But simply making an account recovery key does not stop me from adding a recovery contact as well. So it appears to me that those two options are compatible.

Whether the contact alone would still be useable to recover the account is not clear to me though as that would seem to counter the very idea of an account recovery key to me? I would actually hope that, once enabled, recovery requires the key, period. No options, no alternatives. That to me seems the very point of the account recovery key system.

It is the Apple support operated automatic account recovery system that is unavailable when using a recovery key.

Does creating a Recovery Key BLOCK recovery using Recovery Contact People?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.