Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys remapped after update to Monterey

I just updated my M1 Mac Mini to the Monterey OS and now some of my keys on my keyboard have been remapped and won't give me the option to remap them.

For example, the big issue I'm encountering is simply increasing or decrease the volume via my keyboard. Normally, I would just press F11 to decrease and F12 to increase. These do not work any longer. In fact, when I am in Google Chrome, when I press F12, it opens up a window to see the webpages coding.

Most of the issues I'm noticing so far are coming from Function Keys (top row of my keyboard). I also have a Apple bluetooth keyboard I purchased alongside this computer and have not experienced these issues ever until just now after I updated to Monterey.

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 9:48 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 9:48 AM in response to jordan_mill24

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Keys remapped after update to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.