Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word file to pages file

how can i keep the word file format when using the file pages application?

When I open a word file with the pages application, the format of the file changes and some of the contents of the file disappear. How do I keep the file format the same as it used to be?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:50 AM

Pages is not a Word clone and translates the Word document contents into the internal Pages (.pages) document format. Apple does not guarantee an accurate translation and as you have noted, it fell short of your expectations.

If you absolutely require Word native document format fidelity, and exchange Word documents with other Word users, then use your choice of Microsoft 365 (subscription), or Office 2021 for Mac (single-purchase).

The free LibreOffice Suite is a clone of MS Office and does a very good job with Microsoft documents, but again, it will not be 100% on opening or saving Microsoft content, and the interface will incur a steep learning curve.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Nannika

Pages is not a Word clone and translates the Word document contents into the internal Pages (.pages) document format. Apple does not guarantee an accurate translation and as you have noted, it fell short of your expectations.

If you absolutely require Word native document format fidelity, and exchange Word documents with other Word users, then use your choice of Microsoft 365 (subscription), or Office 2021 for Mac (single-purchase).

The free LibreOffice Suite is a clone of MS Office and does a very good job with Microsoft documents, but again, it will not be 100% on opening or saving Microsoft content, and the interface will incur a steep learning curve.

word file to pages file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.