Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages on a PC

Can Win people open a Pages doc exported to Word with suffix .docx?

Thanks, Tom

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 10:59 AM

I believe your best bet is to start with MS Word (whether Mac or Windows) and forget about using Pages. There is something in that export of movies from Pages that does not hunt well when sent to Word documents, and not at all in a PDF.

11 replies

Aug 22, 2019 3:26 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Tom,

There is no uploading or downloading of files to or from the Apple Support Communities. One can use a shareable Google Drive folder location, as I have done when code that I have written for others would not post here due to hosting software size restrictions.

If you embed a video in a Pages v8.1 document and export to Word, it will create a folder named for the document, and that folder contains the .docx with the video image in the document and the separate video. I have no flavor of MS Word here, and LibreOffice v6.3.0.4 opens the .docx with the video image, but no clue that it is a video.

Aug 23, 2019 10:31 AM in response to VikingOSX

Well then, starting from scratch can you recommend a way to share

Pages documents (as they're so hospitable to video) with Windows?

Burning the content of the folder you describe to CD dint work (the

disc dutifully copies the folder and its contents but can't play back

with the vids in place. Text and video nicely integrate in the Mac

version. Invoking the .docx file opens and plays all, correctly on Mac

but fails in Win. Should I have have used a DVD disc? But I really want

to distribute via internet vs. disc. The problem shows up with Windows

playback, not Mac - do I need to author the item on Windows?

Aug 25, 2019 9:35 PM in response to Tom Meade1

I can't get it to work.

Am using Word for Mac from the App Store.

I can add videos to Pages but the same videos don't add to Word, despite using approved steps.

(Click on Insert, select the video - same one as I put in the Pages doc); Save using tiny disk in Menu Bar.

I could find no Save within the app itself.

All seems well, Finder shows Time Stamp on the doc as of that moment, but . .

the size of the Word document doesn't change - it should grow by 200MB.

The interesting thing is the video plays fine, sound and all - in the Word doc -

it must be playing from another resource is all I can think of. Again, saving, even

Save As, new location - no workee.

Testing a new doc with a different video, m4v, mp4 - none work. Saving does not

bind the vid to the doc.

I cannot save vids (pics yes) to the Word docs. Maybe the Time Stamp is from editing,

doing something, anything - to the file. Maybe it don't reflect a Save at all. Am I kidding

myself? It's sure as heck not saving the video.

Re-started Mac, to no avail. Do I need to be working from a PC ? Help!

Aug 26, 2019 2:33 AM in response to Tom Meade1

The whole notion of embedding video in a word processing document may not be the right solution for cross-platform usability. You may need to generate a PDF from Pages, and then add the video with a PDF Editor, whether that is Acrobat DC Pro, or one of the more sanely priced, non-subscription editors.

You can try Word on Windows as depending on the features available, Microsoft may have not implemented them on the Mac side. But, if you can add videos to a Word document on the PC, and cannot play them reliably on the Mac side, then to what end?

Aug 26, 2019 12:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for sticking with me on this VikingOSX - I'm resigned to having both Win and Mac versions

of the document but now it's clear that I can't even author the Win doc on my Mac despite having

the Win version of Word. I'll look into the PDF idea but MS seems to stand behind Word/Mac - I'm

in for a subscription from the App Store - who officially supports the product?

Aug 26, 2019 2:48 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Microsoft always supports their product, even when the Office 365 subscription version is downloaded from the Mac App Store. Microsoft Word Mac Support Forum.

Just understand that Microsoft implements features in the Windows version of Word that they withhold from the Mac version. Even now when both products are in the same shared code pool. D'oh.

Pages on a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.